Blackout Beginning

Blackout: a period of darkness (as in a city) caused by a failure of electrical power

....

Taehyung sat at his usual spot at the dinner table, listening to his younger sister gush about how her recent engagement with a foreign man was something to be proud of; this was according to the other girls of age in their town. Their family was, for once, whispered about with arrogance of envy instead of disgust. Taehyung pushed his food around with his chopsticks in annoyance. He wasn't particularly fond of Eonjin's new fiance. From all of his sister's stories, he could only assume that Terrance Williams was a man of arrogance and selfish desires. Why else propose to a beautiful, vulnerable foreigner within five months of being acquainted?

"This is why I should have traveled to America first," Taehyung suddenly spoke, effectively pausing his sister. "I would have found a stable career and made something of myself. I would have been able to provide for all of you." He looked around the table at his younger sister and brother, and then at his mother. "A stuck-up foreigner is all Eonjin has to show for her visit."

Taehyung's mother reached out and pat his hand lovingly. "Finding a handsome suitor is a very respectable thing for a young woman, like your sister, to do. Your chance to prove yourself is coming; don't fret."

Taehyung held back an eye roll as Eonjin stuck her tongue out at him. Not wanting to be discluded, Taehyung's younger brother jumped up from his seat and shouted, "I want to go to America with Taehyung!"

"Your time will come soon enough, Jonggyu-ah," Taehyung's mother promised. "You don't want to get behind on your schooling, do you?"

Jonggyu crossed his arms in a pout but nodded his head in agreement to his mother's words nonetheless. A loud car horn suddenly blared from outside, startling Eonjin into dropping the cup of hot tea that she held onto her lap.

"Ah!" she shrieked, quickly grabbing a cloth to soak up the spill. She glared at her older brother, who was rushing around the kitchen to gather his bags. "I'm thrilled that this will be the last time in a long while that I'll have to put up with your and Jimin-oppa's disturbances!"

Taehyung ignored her comment in favor of giving her and their brother a quick hug. He turned and pressed a kiss to his mother's cheek before promising, "The next time you see me, I'll have more than enough money to support this entire family. We can move to America, just as we've always dreamed, eomma."

Eonjin scoffed and held up her phone. "You must mean the next time we see you in person. Hello! It's the twenty-first century. Facetime is a thing."

Taehyung's mother waved her aside and pulled her eldest son into a warm embrace. "Your father would be so proud," she whispered, her cheeks becoming wet with tears. Taehyung gulped and blinked back his own as he settled into the last hug he'd receive from her for a long time. Jimin honked the horn again, longer this time. He was clearly becoming impatient.