Ambiguous Accusations

Ambiguous: doubtful or uncertain especially from obscurity or indistinctness

....

Taehyung awoke in the middle of the night with the urge to use the bathroom. Groaning softly, so he wouldn't wake up Jungkook, he slipped out of bed and pulled on his shoes and coat. Grabbing his gun for protection, he walked silently down the stairs and slipped out the backdoor.

The night sky was cloudy and dark, not a single star shone through. Fortunately, a sliver of moonlight guided his way to the outhouse. After finishing his business, he moved to head inside, but something caught his eye. Someone was creeping out of the Jeon's house. Fearing for Jungkook's family, Taehyung stayed hidden in the shadows as he crept along the wall of his house. He breathed out a sigh of relief when he realized it was simply Jungkook's father.

His relief quickly turned to suspicion. What was Jeon Jaeho doing out so late at night? Taehyung glanced back at his bedroom window where Jungkook was hopefully still fast asleep and followed Jaeho down the street. He followed him as far as the next block over but became nervous after Jaeho began to stop and peer into the darkness behind him. Taehyung would have to flatten himself against a building or crouch behind a bush every time this happened. His heart was beating so rapidly against his chest that he feared Jeon Jaeho may hear it. It was during one of these moments that he lost sight of him.

Feeling defeated, Taehyung rushed back home. He attempted to stay in the shadows of buildings, but the dark of the night and knowledge of a serial killer was getting to him. Every single cricket chirp, stray animal crossing, and even the sound of his own footsteps caused him to jump. Every so often he would abruptly stop walking, just to make sure that the only footsteps he could hear were his own. When he finally arrived back home, he was freezing and out of breath.

His heart dropped when he noticed the backdoor to his house was wide open. He hadn't let it open. Shouldering his gun, he crept forward slowly, his finger next to the trigger.

"Taehyung-ah?"

Taehyung was so startled by the voice, that he jumped into the air and slipped on the dew-covered grass. His ankle throbbed as he stared up into his sister's concerned face.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"You left the backdoor open," he muttered instead of answering her question. "I thought something had happened."

"I'm sorry!" Eonjin apologized sheepishly, helping him up from the ground. "I wanted to feel the snow."

Taehyung brought a hand up to his face in surprise. His ungloved fingers were met with the cold tickle of frost. He wondered when it had started to snow. He had been too preoccupied to notice.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Eonjin breathed out.

Taehyung looked ahead and saw snowflakes swirling around in the moonlight. The same snowflakes that would kill his strawberry crop, freeze the bucket they used as a sink by the outhouse, and make trudging over the wet, slippery ground to feed the animals every single morning that much more difficult. The winter was going to feel extra long, cold, and dark. His sister didn't see it that way though, all she saw was how pretty it looked falling from the sky.