A change of wedding plans

So I don't know about you but when I picture a "monster island" I think more along the lines of skulls and jacked rocks with sand as sharp as glass. Something like the Sirens island.

Well if you're referring to the Cyclops's island then you better throw that all out the window because the island in front of us didn't look like that at all. I mean, other than the sketchy looking rope bridge hanging over a chasm and the big sign that said: SOMETHING EVIL LIVES HERE. Okay, there was no sign...but there should have been, right? Except for the weird entrance, the place looked like a tropical paradise. Green fields and big bright fruit trees with strikingly white beaches.

As we sailed toward the shore, Annabeth breathed in the sweet air. "The Fleece," she said.

Percy and I nodded. The Fleece wasn't in our sights yet but I could already feel its power. I mean, by the way it radiated I would have said that it could heal anything. Curing Thalia's poisoned tree would be as easy as snatching up the thing and getting it back to camp.

Percy suddenly asked. "If we take it away, will the island die?"

I hadn't even thought about that. Annabeth shook her head though. "It'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally, whatever that is."

I'm not gonna lie, I felt slightly guilty that we would be the ones responsible for ruining this place. Only slightly though because I knew we needed it more. If Thalia's tree wasn't healed then countless demigods would die. If that tree hadn't been creating a border around Camp Half-Blood last year then Percy, Grover and I would have been toast. We had no choice...we had to save camp.

In the meadow at the base of the ravine, several dozen sheep were milling around. They looked peaceful enough, but they were absolutely ginormous. They were at least the size of a small car. Just past them was a path that led up into the hills. At the top of the path, near the edge of the canyon, was the massive oak tree I'd seen in my dreams. Something gold glittered in its branches and we all knew exactly what that was.

I shook my head. "It's just sitting there?"

"This is too easy," Percy said. "We could just hike up there and take it."

Annabeth's eyes narrowed. "There's supposed to be a guardian. A dragon or..."

That's when a deer emerged from the bushes. It trotted into the meadow, probably looking for a nice healthy meal of grass to eat. Then all at once the sheep let out a roar. Within seconds the poor deer was utterly lost to a sea of wool.

Grass and tufts of fur flew into the air.

A second later the sheep all moved away, back to their regular peaceful wanderings. Where the deer had been was now just a pile of clean white bones.

We all exchanged looks.

"They're like piranhas," Annabeth said.

Percy sighed. "Piranhas with wool. How will we—"

"Guys!" Annabeth gasped, grabbing my arm. "Look."

She pointed down to the beach, just below the sheep's meadow, where a small boat had been run aground...It couldn't be...the other lifeboat from the CSS Birmingham?

After a few minutes we all came to a group decision that we'd rather not risk our luck with the man eating sheep. Annabeth at first wanted to sneak up the path invisibly and grab the Fleece, but in the end Percy and I convinced her that something would go wrong. The sheep would smell her. Another guardian would appear. Something. And if that happened, we'd be way too far away to help.

Anyways we had a more important job, finding Grover. It also wouldn't hurt to find out who had come ashore on that lifeboat. You know, assuming they had somehow managed to get past the monster sheep.