My best friend...

"You'd think he'd run out of rocks," Percy muttered from my side.

"Swim for it!" Grover Exclaimed.

He and Clarisse plunged into the surf. Annabeth hung onto Clarisse's neck and tried to paddle with one hand, the wet Fleece weighing her down.

But as we all swam forward it soon became clear that the monster's attention wasn't on the Fleece at all.

"You, young Cyclops!" Polyphemus roared. "Traitor to your kind!"

Tyson froze.

"Don't listen to him!" Percy pleaded.

I kept on paddling. "Yeah Tyson, come on."

Percy attempted to pull Tyson's arm to no avail. I mean, Percy was strong but moving Tyson could only really be equated to moving a bus.

Tyson turned and faced the older Cyclops. "I am not a traitor."

"You serve mortals!" Polyphemus shouted. "Thieving humans!"

Polyphemus threw a boulder but Tyson just swatted it aside with his fist.

"Not a traitor," Tyson said. "And you are not my kind."

"Death or victory!" Polyphemus charged into the surf, but his foot was still wounded. He immediately stumbled and fell on his face. If he had not immediately jumped back up then I'm sure we all would have laughed. I mean, it looked like something straight out of America's Funniest Home Videos.

"Guys!" Clarisse yelled. "Come on!"

I looked ahead only to see that they were almost to the ship. In that moment I realized just how thankful I was that my seasickness seemed to have disappeared this far into the sea of monsters. If we were swimming in the regular ocean I wouldn't have just been falling behind. I would probably be going under.

It was clear that Percy had an idea, because he shouted, "Joey, catch up to the others!"

"But Percy-"

Percy looked between Tyson and himself. "Tyson and I have this. You need to get the boat."

I wanted to argue but I knew that he was right. There just wasn't much I could do in the waves. Even if they weren't making me weak, I still definitely wasn't in my terrain.

Before I left I turned one last time. "Be careful Percy, okay?"

He smiles and his eyes twinkled the same color as the sea. "I promise.

And with that I paddled off.

By the time I got onto the Ship I had already heard several crashes come from behind me. I wasn't all that scared though, I mean Clarisse was practically a sports announcer. Screaming out every play.

"Blaaaaah!" I heard Polyphemus bleat just like one of his sheep. I was on my feet again now so I finally spun around to see what was going on.

Somehow that monster had ripped an entire tree out, roots and all. He was swinging it wildly but it was entirely clear who his target was, Percy. He dodged a few attacks but then Polyphemus swung the trunk again. Percy pulled a fast one though. He grabbed a branch as it passed by him, and was jerked skyward. Then right when he reached the top of the arc he let go and fell straight against the giant's face—landing with both feet on his already damaged eye.

Polyphemus yowled in pain. Tyson came in from the side, tackling him and pulling him down. Percy landed next to them—sword in hand, within striking distance of the monster's heart. But as he looked at Tyson it seemed like this monster hit a little too close to home.