Incomplete

Incomplete: One.    

     My breath caught in my throat as i looked over the computer screen and caught a glance of her.

     I don't know what it was about her - whether it was her icey blue eyes that seemed to pierce through the depths of my mind, her auburn hair that hung loosely just slightly past her shoulders, the way she dressed so casually in grey skinny jeans with a skin-tight T-Shirt and those Converse covered in marker and pen, or the many necklaces, rings, bracelets, and earrings she wore. But something about her appearance caught my attention with just a glance as our gazes met.

     The moment lasted but a moment before she looked away, finding something more interesting to look at. But i continued to stare at her until the track on my iPod changed from the soft sounds of piano instrumentals to the loud crash of symbols on the next rock song that came on.

     I snapped my attention back to the screen of my Mac laptop i had recently gotten for my 16th birthday. I was writing a paper for my creative writing class. I was supposed to make a story with all the elements of a short story. As long as the subject was school-appropriate, i was allowed to write about anything i felt like.

     So far, i'd drawn a blank. I glanced back at the girl with auburn hair, feeling something in me like a spark. Could she be giving me some kind of inspiration?

     I smiled slightly as i leaned over my keyboard, staring at my necklace that was hanging so close to the table. I let my index and middle finger lightly hold it in place as i spun it around, never letting my eyes leave the bronze broken heart.

     Suddenly i was sucked into my memories, completely forgetting where i was and what i was supposed to be doing.

     Because of this, i didn't know how much time went by or what it was that i was doing that caught her attention, but that auburn-haired girl approached me.

     "Hey," she said simply, snapping me back into reality. I put my hand on my chest, breathing heavily.

     "Oh jeez, you scared me..." I mumbled.

     "Woops, sorry," she didn't sound like she meant it. In fact, she kind of giggled. I wasn't sure if that's what it really was, but if it wasn't, then it was a pretty weird sound for a random exhale of breath.

     "It's, uhh...it's cool," I nearly let myself trail as i stared into her striking eyes. I was so close. They knocked my breath away in such a way that it was much harder to recover this time.

     "Whatcha doin?" She plopped herself down in the chair next to me, rested her elbows on the table, and held her chin in her palms. Then she stared at me with a smile on her face, glancing at the computer a few times.

     "This?" She nodded. "School assignment."

     "What do ya have to do?" She asked.

     Why was that any of her business? But i found myself answering her anyway. "I'm writing a short story for creative writing, but..." I trailed off, but she just waited for me to finish.

     When i didn't, she asked, "'But...', what? Can't think of anything?"

     How did she know? Oh, i guess it must have been pretty obvious, huh.

     "Pretty much, yeah," I shrugged and sighed, closing the Mac.

     "Well don't just give up!" She stood up again, her smile spreading across her face. I found myself staring again as she added, "Let me help you!"

     I nodded dumbly before noticing something key about this girl.

     "What's your name?" I asked.

     "Lyssa."

     "Auden."

     She smiled again, and spun around saying, "Auden...that's such a pretty name."

     My face grew hot - God only knows why, since people told me that all the time - and i followed her out the door of the book store we were in.

     "Where are we going, Lyssa?" I wonder if she noticed i didn't really need to say her name. I just wanted to.

     Why did i want to? It felt funny on my tongue.

     "Well, we're going to your house." She stopped, and i had to step on the brakes fast to not run into her. She spun on her heels and laughed, saying, "I guess you should be leading the way, huh. Silly me!"

     Then she motioned for me to go ahead.

     Somehow the thought of her in my house made me feel funny...kind of like a weight in my stomach had been dislodged somehow.

     I kind of liked it.

     I smiled at her and boldly took the first step that would lead to the beginning of something amazing.