Incomplete chapter 16

Incomplete: Sixteen.

     "Auden! C'mon, wake up!" Lyssa was shoving me around, and my eyes fluttered open.

     "Huh...? Is something going on?" I grumbled. Adjusting my eyes, i noticed it was still dark out.

     "I think someone's in the house..." she whispered. I could hear a tremor in her voice and i was immediately wide awake.

     I sat up and looked at her. Then i heard thumping on the floor above us, and the sound of something breaking. Looking closer, i noticed Lyssa's eyes were shiny. She was crying. Rage suddenly started bursting beneath the surface, and i stood up.

     "You stay here," I whispered, walking towards the stairs.

     "No!" She leapt and grabbed my ankles. I nearly fell over, and i looked down at her. "Don't go! You...you might get hurt!"

     I smiled at her. "I won't get hurt. Besides, it would kill me if you were the one who got hurt."

     We both heard another crash, and i shook Lyssa off of me, then stomped up the stairs.

     When i opened the door, it was still dark in the rest of the house. I took a cautious step forward and closed the door behind me, looking around. There was another crash that came from my left, where the kitchen was. I tip-toed over to that room and peeked around the corner.

     There was a darkened figure that was very tall and very aggressive. The whole room was trashed, pots and pans thrown every-which-way. Chairs were overturned, and drawers were wide open. I looked around and saw a pan very close to me. I somehow managed to snag it without the intruder noticing, and i glided across the floor to them, lifting the pan above my head and smashing it down on their head.

     They sank to the floor with a loud groan, and the lights came on. Looking over, i saw Lyssa trembling by the switch. I winked at her, and we tied the man to a chair to restrain him when he woke up.

     He was insanely strong, or at least he looked it, and he had short black hair. Of course, he was wearing all black. How cliche can you get.

     His eyes began to open a little later, and we waited as he faded back into consciousness.

     Once he did, his eyes flashed with anger, and i saw Lyssa flinched. I wrapped my arm around her waist and pulled her closer to me, not taking my eyes off of the man.

     "Talk," I demanded when i was sure he was awake. "Who are you and why are you here?"

     He smiled at me smugly. "You're that Auden girl, right?" He spit in my direction.

     "What if i am?"

     "You bailed a few days ago, on that fight after school. With Derek."

     I blinked. "Who's Derek?"

     His eyes flashed again, and he snarled, "My little brother, bitch."

     I found the connection immediately. The note i got in class the day i was suspended must've been from Derek. But who was he, and why did he want to fight me? Besides, why did his brother come here to beat me up for him? Wait...how did he even know i was here? Way too many questions.

     I started with a simple one. "Why did Derek want to fight me?"

     "You already forgot?" He spit again. What is it with guys and spitting? "The other day, in the halls. You nailed him hard in the face, and he had to go to the nurse's office. You just randomly punched a guy out, and you don't even remember." He chuckled darkly.