Chapter Nine - Lesson Chaos

Sorry for the late update - I've had a few busy weeks! I'll try and update more regularly now :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aelin's POV -

The next day, Elide,Lysandra and Aelin all went off to their lessons along with the other the other first-year Slytherins. Aelin found herself loving her lessons; which scared her more than she cared to admit.

They started off with charms with the Gryffindors, Professor Florine being a strict yet oddly assuring teacher. It was here in which Aelin met Ansel, a first-year Gryffindor with wine red hair and a fiery attitude which rivalled Aelin's. The two of them caused mayhem in that first lesson secretly enchanting some of their classmates things, making their bags, wands or even robes float, which terrified their friends. Turns out both of them had done some practice before arriving at Hogwarts, and were content to mess with the others. If it had not been for Professor Florine's clear favour towards them and the fact that they were much more advanced than their classmates, they surely would have had a detention, but it seemed they were lucky.

Ansel and Aelin were a dangerous combination, as they topped all their classes together, spending any extra time in lesson tormenting their friends. Luckily nobody seemed to particularly mind - in fact their classmates seemed to find their antics funny, which really just egged them on.

However one lesson that Aelin despised was defence against the dark arts. It was an important lesson and Aelin was excelling in it, like all her other subjects but the issue was her teacher.

Professor Perrington was arguably one of the most despicable people that Aelin had met, taking genuine pleasure in seeing her and her class squirm. He didn't seem pleased when Aelin got something right, on the contrary he took 5 points from Slytherin, insisting that she was trying to put down the other members of the class by answering correctly. When members of the class pointed out that they were fine and that they were actually pleased that Aelin was doing well, he took another ten, claiming that she had pressured the others to stick up for them and was clearly making them uncomfortable.

"Honestly what would you parents say?!" He tutted. "I'm sure they'll be very disappointed in you for this."

This stung, and from the glint in his eye, Aelin knew that Perrington was aware of her parents murder several years ago, and took pleasure in watching her relive the last moment. Somebody needed to get him out of the room because if he said anything more, Aelin was sure that she would start throwing hands.

"Murder is still illegal, right?" She whispered to Dorian, who she shared that class with.

Dorian chuckled, only answering with "I'm pretty sure it is but I'll help you hide the body if need be."

Dorian and Aelin had also got very close, meeting up after their first class and talking about their houses and how excited they were to be there. Dorian was clearly a massive fan of the Ravenclaw house and was loving his classes, just like Aelin. They had bonded further over their life of books, promising to meet up in the library later to pick out some favourites and read them together. This combination, however less scary than Aelin and Ansel, was still powerful, the two of them dominating any class they were in together just like Ansel had done before with her. Aelin was quite confident that there was nobody who was bright than Dorian, who seemed to barely study yet still do tremendously well. Aelin was extremely jealous of this; she'd spent so much time studying over the break and was still only matching him, but she couldn't say that it upset her too much. Like she'd discovered earlier, she wanted to get good grades, but studies weren't the only things she cared about.

Dorian also didn't seem fazed by Aelin's urge to kill Perrington, ending up supporting her decision, and it was only Yrene, Aelin's other good friend that convinced her that the charges for attacking him were too high for it to be worth it.

———

Now, she was leaving her lesson and heading to her last one fo the day - flying lessons - and boy, was Aelin's Hogwarts experience about to change,