Chapter Ten - Flying Free

Back again!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aelin's POV -

Aelin and Dorian waltzed into flying lessons five minutes late, grinning from ear to ear. Their other classmates (Slytherin and Ravenclaw had flying lessons together) looked at them with looks of varying pity, as their professor stormed towards them.

"You're fifteen minutes late you two! What do you have to say for yourselves??" She continued to yell, seemingly furious that they had turned up after they were meant to. It wasn't their fault; the restricted section books - I mean normal permitted library books - were very interesting and they had gotten distracted!

Dorian and Aelin simply looked at each other, a flash a panic passing between them before their wide grins were back, this time  accompanied by a series of sarcastic, but quite frankly brilliant, remarks from Aelin.

"Oh come on miss, was that all you've got?" Aelin remarked cheekily. "You're a professor, surely you can do better than that; you've taught here for years. Whilst we're on the subject, we aren't fifteen minutes late, only five. These corridors are hard to navigate aren't they? Particularly for two first-year stir dents with no map of the castle and no way to know where they are going. Now, to accuse two student of being late, simply because they couldn't be bothered to turn up on time would be incredibly harsh, wouldn't it? It's a god thing that isn't what you did. Now, if you'll excuse us, we need to be grabbing ourselves a broomstick each!

With that, Dorian and Aelin walked off towards the field, joined by Yrene, Lysandra and Elide, all relieved to see their friends in one piece.

—————————

Aelin was so excited for flying. Sure, she loved transfiguration, sure, charms were cool, but flying was something that she was so excited for that she had spent all her time researching different brooms and all of the different rules for quidditch, so that when she watched she could understand what was going on. - Okay, that was a lie. She wanted to sit in the stands and critique Aedion who was on the Gryffindor team, so that she could hug him for centuries afterwards. She had never flown before, as Aedion told her it wasn't allowed (like he ever stuck to protocol) and that it was best to learn once she arrived. Therefore, she was determined to master it.

Taking her position next to a broom, Aelin listened to her still slightly bewildered professor explain to what they had to do, following her instructions exactly. Soon she and Dorian, the only two who had managed to fly first time were up and off. Much to the chagrin of some of the Ravenclaw who seemed to be jealous of Dorian and wanted to see him fail at something for once. They were wasting their time, thought Aelin. Dorian's father was determined to make sure he succeeded, teaching him much of the curriculum before school started, placing him at the top of the class, beside Aelin.

Aelin soared higher and higher, twisting and diving on her broom, feeling the wind brush against her face. She loved flying; it was different to anything she had felt before and she felt as if she would never stop. Unfortunately, realising the her classmates had begun to fly down, although a lot more tentatively; Aelin was quite clearly the best in the class by a long way, surpassing Dorian by a great way as well. She landed back on the ground only to receive a round of applause from her friends, Yrene,  Elide and Lysandra wrapping her in a bone-crushing hug.

It was all going to so well. Until, however, they began to leave class, only to hear their teacher call Aelin back. Deciding that it was best not to fight on this one, Aelin left her friends to go back to their common rooms before dinner and walked up to her professor, who simply gestured to the tall white-haired girl stood next to her, smiling faintly. Aelin still wasn't sure if this was a positive smile or a cruel, pain-relishing one. She supposed she'd find out.

"Miss Galathynius, meet Manon Blackbeak. I think the two of you need to have a little chat........"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the suspense; hopefully I will write the next chapter quickly and have it up by tomorrow - I'm looking forward to this one!! Thank you again for reading,! If you wouldn't mind please drop a follow; it's hard to get any followers as a small writer and I'd love to do a few more series after this one! 🤍