Chapter 18

"What happened?" Agni asks as I stroll in our garde and concealed myself behind our mango trees while she comes. I know she has been finding a place as well however, in this neighborhood, it's almost impossible. We don't have enough trees like Maithan has and beyond our boundary, there are houses where the aunties can easily spy on us. However, in this packed house, there seem to be one place that's perfect for both of us; the mango tree.

It's almost hundred years old and the log is pretty thick. The branches are wide with full of blossom.

"Nothing..." I look at her and there's so many questions I want to ask her. And if something is telling me, if I don't ask her now, I'll probably never can.

"What do you think about marriage?" I ask, finally.

"Well, last time I got married it was a disaster, if you want to know my experience then—it sucks."

I chuckle. She chuckles as well but there is a hint of sadness. A thick coat of silence surrounds us within a moment.

"I wanted to get my own family like every other girls out there. To have a caring husband and I would be there to waiting for him to arrive..." she shrugs, "look where I'm now."

I nod as I bite my lower lip.

"No wonder you don't want to get married." The words leave my mouth before I can think and I mentally regretted while hoping she hasn't heard.

"I do want to get married but not now..." She looks down. There is something in her that is holding her however, she adds, "I know there aren't many men who would want to marry me if they know everything about me, that is." She looks down at the grass like it is the most interesting thing to see.

She lights her cigarette and gives it me. I take it while say, "My family wants me to marry."

She looks at me there's a bit of shock. "That-that's a great news." She smiles but it isn't from her heart. I can sense the haziness and stiffness in it.

"That's not a great news." I say faster than I think, "I don't want to marry. Not at least now."

She nods.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask, straightening my gaze at her as I clench my teeth. She must have felt my next question as her palms tighten into fists and eyes turn hard.

"Yeah. What?" She nods.

"What did Suresh do to you?"

She looks with wide eyes, probably reminiscing the past events which she's trying so damn hard to forget. I feel sorry that I even ask her that forbidden question. While I give her as much as time she wants, her eyes drift everywhere like she's arranging her words. Her gaze lands everywhere but mine. She swallows a breath and I guess it is too painful for her.

"I know it's a little disturbing but I want to know," I say looking straight into her eyes making sure she knows, I'm serious.

"He-he abused me..." she mumbles and averts her eyes from me while a few muscles in my jaw twitch.

"I can pretty damn imagine that."

A line forms on her lips, "Then it turned into his obsession. He was obsessed. He just wanted to capture me in a box if he could while his family wanted every money and everything." Her face forms into a book of pain even I can read it. Her black eyes blur behind her tears but she swallows it as well. She is damn too strong to let the weakness consume her. And no matter what, the more I come to know her, the more the respect is growing inside of me for her.

"Did you report it to the police?"

She nods. "He's out on a bail. Pretty influential."

My knuckles turn white as I fist my palms. She's still recovering from her past where that man is out there on the loose.

"What has the marriage cost you?" I already knew the answer.

I can see her stiffened and her shoulders slumps down, "It took my everything. Nothing is left in me."

"Everything is there, Agni. Nothing is finished. You can always start."

She scoffs and let out a dry chuckle, "Yes. I can't get pregnant. Ever." she looks at me a cold eyes staring right through my very soul. It is dark and it feels like her heart has turned into a stone.

"That's not the the end." I say putting pressure on each words.

"You're saying it like your parents can live without having an heir."

"You-you heard our conversation?" Had she? My heart thumps in my ribcage, sweat begins to form on my forehead and the air between us has stopped.

"I didn't need to. My uncle called me saying your mom asked about me and when they informed about my...state, she hung up."

I am dumbfounded and nothing leaves my mouth as if my voice has tuck in my throat somewhere. A little bit of anger crawls in my bones toward my mother however she speaks again, "Your mother has no fault. She only wants an heir." Agni looks at sky and exhales a sigh, "Any mother would want that."

Then she leaves. I stand there looking at her fading figure into the house, unable to move my muscle as if I have been frozen in an ice cube.

*****

My heart drops at every single thought that involves Agni. I put on my dark silver tux as the event is going to start. And tonight is the last time I'll probably see her. Uneasiness settles inside my belly and nothing feels worth giving my attention.

Dev asks suddenly, snapping out of my thoughts, "What happened?"

I shake my head, "Nothing."

He looks around and when our conversation is out of hearing range of others he begins, "I know, you like her."

My gaze meets his. I have no mood for a conversation as every conversation will be going to end in confusion. More confusion as to why it feels so wrong?

"Listen, I know she likes you too."

"How do you know that?"

"I heard Agni and Bratati talking about you. Agni was blushing hard as Bratati keeps leg pulling her."

"Anyone would be blushing if you tease them." I start tying my tie.

"Adi, I have eyes. I can see the small interactions between you two, and both of your body languages. I've been trained to observe those."

"Your meaning?" I don't look at him as I continue fixing my tie.

"Just do what you want. You're not someone who likes brooding over things. You've been always like the guy who takes his decision and makes it right."

I scoff.

"Of course, but... Agni is broken to the soul. And after hearing our conversation about her, made her think, she isn't qualified to marry again." I clench my jaw.

"What! She heard us?"

I roll my eyes and say in a matter-of-factly, "Anyone will hear us if we gather in the kitchen."

"Well, then. It's settled. She'll be gone tomorrow. So, problem solved," Dev says which angered me more and my gaze fall on him with a big dagger.

"That's not the solution!" I hiss.

"From what I could gather, this is a perfect solution, since you both weren't meant for each other."

"And who says we weren't meant for each other? That's some Hogwash theory. Nobody's meant for anyone. They just choose to be with the person they like." I say my voice becoming harsh with each words.

He grins and it annoyed me more. This is a big, very big trouble and he's smiling?

"You just said the solution yourself." He winked and leaves. I stand there with a wide gape on my mouth and a brain that's still can't grasp the situation. What?

But my feet move before my head and I go to my next destination.

____________

Hey guys!

This story has just two more chapters before it finishes... I hope you like it... XD

___________

20th November, 2020