Chapter 17

My stomach growls and I squirm in my seat to try to silence the rumbling. I glance at the clock; two p.m. and the series of houses confirm that we are not far from our house. Only two more turns until lunch. Dev moves the steering while my head is preoccupied; my mind recalling the menu as I imagine the chicken kosa in my plate before me. I am salivating at the thought of it as our car runs to its final destination. Only one more turn. I watch as we cross the last house finally in front of the decorative gate slowly. The closer it gets, the slower it seems to go. My stomach rumbles again, and I try to cover it with my hand like it will eat everyone.

Chattering, swirling people, red carpet, decorative palms against cream-and-gilt walls, small whirlpools of life at the open, men in their light panjabi and kurtas* while women in various modern clothing, get themselves buried in their conversation.
The noises of chatter confirms that our family and the guests have already gathered in pandal where the tables and chair are set.

As soon as Dev stops the car, I leave the car and see Bratati is ready to serve. My eyes search for Agni who is sitting beside Trayi. The chair beside her is empty and I think I should not waste anymore of my time when a nudge postponed my plan.

I look behind and see a small man with a big bald and bulging belly like he's nine months pregnant. He isn't familiar or I don't think I've seen him.

"Yes, uncle?" I ask.

"Beta, can you bring my bags from there? It's a little bit heavy for me," he informs a little smile plays on his dark lips under his thick moustache.

I look behind him at our entrance way, there indeed is a big blue suitcase—he's barely an inch taller than it—with another one white backpack bigger than the first one, laying beside it. It is shocking how can this meagre little creature manages to take those here. I nod and go over there.

I bend over it and pull—or at least, I tried to—however, it didn't move. I put more effort in my arms and it surely moves just barely by one millimetre.
After a few more failed attempts, my body starts to get wet because of the sweat and the stickiness makes me irritated.

What the (beep)!

Instead of pulling it up, I drag it along with me then I notice the seat beside Agni is already filled with another person. Dev. "Dost, dost na raha... Pyar, pyar na raha...' the unfortunate yet perfectly situation-matched song starts playing behind the boxes as if they are portraying my inner emotional turmoil.

I look at the damn snapback as irritation and devastation crawl  on my face and then move my eyes to Dev. That sneaky devil!

Beside him Agni looks at me and her eyes follow my situation then rests on me. I grin which she returns as well. Then she looks down at her phone and starts typing. It can be her story or her boyfriend...?

My heart hurts but my phone vibrated with a ping.

I bring out my phone and see it's Agni. A thousand drums start playing in my heart as I open the message.

'Did you deliver the bike?'

'Yes.' I reply.

'Okay.' Her reply comes as soon as my message is delivered. Then two minutes pass by as I have been expecting little more than just an 'okay'. One more minute has went and I can't blame her but I am a bit offended at our minimal conversation. When I was a teen—I don't think that information matters now.

I look around so I can put this mountain of a rag but find all of my friends have already occupied with food before their table. There's no sit available. It's like everyone is hungry as me. I sigh...