ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 9

"Dad!" I rush to the living room.

"Yeah, honey?" He turns his face from the TV. He's chilling on the sofa with some ice cream. Yeah, I think he got some pounds.

"I'm going to hang out with some friends at the mall at 6. Is that okay?"

"Of course! Go have fun!" He says going back to watch the show.

I take a sit next to him.
"Mom is still at work, right?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I'm going to visit her first. I have some questions about my quirk."

"Don't bother her while she's working, Kanjo. You know she hates it."

"But it's important!" I whine. "Don't you remember the Sports Festival?"

Dad looks at me again with wide eyes.
"I completely forgot! We'll be cheering you up. I'm sure you're going to be amazing."

I didn't ask if they were coming because I knew they were busy. They will watch me on TV from the hospital for sure.

"Then I guess your mother can make an exception." He adds.

I smile and give him a kiss on the cheek.
"I'll be leaving then."

He smiles back at me and yells as I leave.
"Be careful!"

The hospital is just a couple of minutes from home. Since my parents work as doctors, their employer managed to get us a place near. That way they can be there in no time in case of an emergency. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention, this isn't just a hospital. It's a psychiatric hospital. Pretty cool, right?

I step inside and a woman with a long emerald pony tail and green eyes greets me at the reception. She's wearing a warm smile. The place is pretty calm today.

"Kanjo! It's been a while since the last time you came. How are you doing?"

Her name is Taisei Kotai. She's been here since I remember. My parents used to take me with them to work, so a lot of the staff knows me. They wanted me to be like them. I can't deny I had fun. Most of the time I could see how my mom calmed the patients and my dad tried to help them understand what was wrong with them. In a way, they are heroes too.

"Hey Kotai. I've been good. I'm studying at UA now."

"You what?! That's so cool! You've grown up so much!" I snicker softly. She's trying to hold her excitement since we can't bother the patients with loud noises. "What brings you here?"

"I came to see mom. You know where is she?"

"Let me check." She's looking for her info at the computer. "Right now she should be in the second floor. You'll have to ask and look around for her."

"Thank you." I nod and walk upstairs.

"Take care Kanjo!" She yells from far.
I can hear someone shushing her and Kotai apologizing. I can't help but muffle a laugh.

The second floor is usually less crowded than the first one. I only see a person with red hair standing in front of one of the rooms. He carries blue flowers and seems to hesitate to get in. There's something familiar about him but I can't really say what it is.

I keep walking to find a nurse and I ask her for my mom. He's pointing to a certain direction when I see her get out from a room. I run towards her and she lifts her gaze from her clipboard.

"Kanjo? What are you doing here?" She asks me surprised.

"I missed you." I smirk.

She raises an eyebrow smiling, knowing well that wasn't the reason.

"I want you to teach me more about my quirk."

"More?"

"Yeah. The Sports Festival is coming soon. I know you said I shouldn't manipulate someone with it, but now I need it."

"Oh! The Sports Festival! I forgot about that. I guess I could teach you a couple of things. Come with me."

She walks to a different room and I follow. When we get inside, a young boy greets my mom with a faint smile from his bed. His black hair is very curly and seems very soft. And his eyes are amber like mines.

"Hi Dr. Nukumi."

"Hey Ren. How are you today?" Mom asks going to the cupboard.
She seems to be looking for something.

"A bit lightheaded, but I'm okay. Who is she?" Ren says looking at me.

"She's my daughter, Kanjo." I wave at him at he weakly waves back.
Meanwhile, mom's getting ready a syringe. "Do you mind if she's the one holding you this time?"

The boy shakes his head. "I don't mind."

Mom sits on the chair next to him and I do the same on the bed.

"Now, Kanjo. I want you to hold his hands and concentrate on his energy."

I do as she says. Ren's face looks tired but I can feel he's really stressed for something.

"Ren is afraid of syringes. That's why we're going to help him while I inject this to him." She explains and I nod.
"It's difficult to change very high and strong energies. For example, if Ren has a high stress and you try to calm him, it might take a couple of minutes for your energy to fade away. But, if he has a low stress, it might take five."

I nod very focused on her explanation.

"That's why sometimes we need to keep the contact, so your energy doesn't desappear and grows stronger. The longer you keep the contact, the easier is for you to keep his mental state. Now keep his energy low, but not much or you're going to depress him."

I do as she says and once Ren is calmed she injects him with the syringe.

"What if I can't keep the contact for long?" I ask.

"Hmm. You're talking about combat, right?"

I nod as she cleans the little mark on Ren's shoulder.

"When I was your age I got into a fight with another girl."

"Mom?" I drop the boy's hands and we both look at her with wide eyes.

She laughs keeping her voice low.
"Don't get me wrong, she was a bitch."

Oh my God.

"But I really didn't want to fight, so I just covered myself with my arms. Every hit hurt of course, and I was scared. But eventually, I noticed my fear was starting to affect her too. At that time I only knew I could share my emotions, but I didn't know I could change others'. Basically she ended up running away from me and I didn't know what I did."

"Wow. You never told me about that."

"Never?"

I shake my head pouting. I guess she spends too much time working.

"Your mom is a badass." Ren smiles amused.

"Thank you!" She says excited. "So what I found out was that, if you can't keep the contact, multiple hits can do the trick. It's much slower though."

"That was very useful! Thanks mom!" I yell standing up.

"Keep your voice low, honey."

"Sorry." I whisper. "I have to go, I'll see you tonight."

We hug and I wave at Ren. I have to hurry to the mall now, I can't make my friends wait.