Plans

Asriel gently pushed open the grand oak door to his vast study, Lyra following directly behind him with Stelmaria by his side and Pan next to Lyra strutting as a baby snow leopard as if to mimic Stelmaria.

Sunlight streamed in from the large tall and various windows illuminating the entire study.

"Lyra, come wait here"

Asriel gestured towards his grand cherry wood desk which had intricate carvings and designs surrounding all its edges.

Lyra headed over to the desk to see Asriel go quickly towards the door, glance thoroughly down the corridors before shutting the door tight before locking it even; as if to make sure there was no one around.

Lyra ran her finger along with the wood of the desk, noticing various framed photograms upon it.

There was a picture of a younger Lyra taking Lyra by surprise, it appeared she hadn't been more than at least six years old in it.

Along with the picture of Lyra and her mother and the most interesting one of all happened to be one of a much younger version of her parents. They appeared to be interlocked in arms posing for a photogram at a gala of sorts where people were dressed fancy wearing high-end dresses and suits.

Asriel wore a tuxedo while Marisa fashioned a stunning black gown, complimenting each other very well. Lyra's favorite part of the photogram was that her parents genuinely seemed happy together. Something she had never seen, while she had known them.

Lyra then glanced around the study as Pantalimion leaped upon the desk to sit on the edge near her, she noted the details around her father's study taking the room in having been in it for the first time.

There were various accomplishments, photograms, and paintings upon the walls. Along with artifacts from various expeditions.

In one corner, there were some giant wooden crates with straw containing things still needing to be unpacked. There also appeared to be a telescope by the window along with a marble stone bust of a man, Lyra did not recognize.

Asriel went behind his desk towards a large tall painting along the wall directly behind it. He reached for the side of the large portrait where it pulled forward revealing a large safe built directly into the wooden panel finish wall.

Lyra peeked over towards Asriel to see what he was doing after seeing the large portrait move from the wall to reveal a large intricate safe.

Lyra noticed that this safe was not like any other she had seen before, it was intricate in detail where on the dial there were constellations and the combination consisted of a specific star pattern.

Lyra's curiosity grew as she watched, Asriel put in the correct constellations upon the lock opening the safe with a click. Asriel turned the handle opening the vast safe revealing a rucksack, a familiar one Lyra had looked after for a couple of months recently.

Asriel opened the rucksack and shifted some papers grabbing two items and stacking one on top of the other before closing the safe up properly and moving the large painting back into place as if it hadn't been moved at all.

Asriel made glances towards the closed door, raising an eyebrow as he had heard something outside the door. Only to hear a slight sound from up above towards the ceiling edge from the various vents.

There was a light faint metal bump before a low growl of frustration and screeching before there were retreating footsteps in the vents above.