Chapter Ten: Case closed!

Chapter Ten: Case Closed!

...

They say we are who we are because of the way our parents raised us. I say no. When a child is born, it is given two paths, the path your parents laid out for you or the path you chose. No one defines your future better than you, so why let someone else do it? We all make mistakes, we all lose people but, that's how life works and at the end of the day, when the sun goes down, the moon starts to shine, and the world spins around, we stay true to who we are no matter what anyone else thinks.

It's been a month since I solved the case of Dalton Ito and Jessica Arnold, and things are better than ever. I am a detective again, I left the school and Eddie is glad to have me back as I am glad to have him back. Dalton Ito was sent to prison when he woke up from his coma; William, Lilly, and Alexander are also serving time in prison. They found Valerie's body down by the lake, where she committed suicide. They searched her room and found a note, explaining her past, how she was involved with dark people. William threatened to reveal a past she was trying to forget, until it was too late. She drowned herself out of fear. The town people held a memorial for her, including taking flowers to her grave. Sofie and Richard moved out of the mansion and into a better place, Sofie took over the company and did a great job with it. In their new home, they would start a family of their own. Charles works alongside his father now, trying to make our justice system better, he also went to court to testify against Dalton Ito.

I got a letter that day inviting me to a gathering hosted by Jessica's father, Mr. Arnold, as a tribute to her. I accepted of course and Eddie promised to pick me up. We arrived at a very big house, the place the gathering was being held and walked inside. The house was decorated with white, shiny marble and a beautiful gold pattern that framed the windows. A giant staircase lead up to the second floor and into a huge ballroom. Mr. Arnold greeted us inside. He was a very old man, with white hair and was shorter than I imagined him.

"Welcome detectives, please make yourselves at home."

There was a melancholic song playing in the background, I went over to the refreshments and grabbed a mini cupcake. After talking to a lot of people Mr. Arnold kept introducing me too, I excused myself and went over to the balcony. I stared into the moon; it's amazing how it can shine when everything else is dark.

"Hey, Lyla." Eddie said from behind.

"Hi, Eddie."

He came up and stood next to me. We stayed quiet for a while admiring the view we had been blessed with, the moonlight shone across the trees behind the mansion, a lake glimmered in the dark, showing the reflection of the moon.

"What are you thinking?" He whispered, breaking the silence.

"What if I obsess over another case, just like what I did with Jessica?" I worried.

Eddie pulled me into a hug, "Then you won't be alone."

I smiled.

I was never alone. I had all the support I could ever need.

Huh? I guess everyone thinks they have figured out what life is about, but it ends up surprising you in ways we never expected.

*

I parked my car outside of a house that looked identical to all the other houses in a neighborhood that was kept alive by gossip that spread faster than the Coronavirus. I got out of the car, and went up to the house. On the mat outside, was a newspaper that had my picture on the front page with the headlines, 'Young detective solves another crime'. I smiled. I swallowed my fear and rang the doorbell. I waited for someone to come to the door, until finally a middle aged man opened the door and stepped outside. He widened his eyes and stared at me.

"Who is it?" a woman yelled from inside of the house. He didn't answer.

"Hi dad." I said slowly.

Mom came up to the door and joined Dad. "Oh my God, Lyla?" she shrieked. I nodded and chuckled nervously. I thought they would scream or get mad instead they both gave me and big hug.

"We are so proud of you." Father said.

Things may start badly, things can end a lot quicker than what we have in mind, but be patient, and life knows what's best for you, so close your eyes and takes a deep breath, take a few hits along the way, and pretty soon you will be unbreakable.