Chapter 30

Billy looked at ease with all eyes on him. His fingers nimbly moved along his guitar. He even flashed his dimples a few times before saying good night. He moved towards me so quickly, like an impending storm. A rough hand hit my shoulder, pushing me faster than my comfortable pace. None of it felt familiar; he didn't feel familiar. 

"Car ready?" He spoke to no one in particular.

Without a response, he walked through the maze until we reached Roger's door again.

"Night, Roger," he murmured without slowing his pace.

I was like snow being plowed down a street. The car door was open before I even realized we were at a car.

"In," his eyes darted around before he joined me in the car.

"Did we need to leave like a Bond villain?" Sarcasm soaked my words.

"If you don't leave fast, you get stuck. I didn't want to get stuck." His tone was calmer now; only a slight edge of bravado remained.

"Don't you have to go to the signing?" I ask as the car lurched into traffic. 

"We stopped doing them in Europe. They got too hectic." His foot tapped in lingering energy from the stage. 

"How's your throat?" The shred in his tone hurt me to hear him talk.

He let out a content sigh and heavily leaned on me. "It's torn up. I've been drinking the tea you got me. I don't always have the honey and lemon, but I drink the tea."

"And your back?" I knew the answer before asking. I'd seen him writhing and twisting on stage, precisely what he should be avoiding.

"Yeah, I'm not great with the back. And I fucked up my ankle," Billy admitted.

I lifted a hand to the side of his face without twisting towards him as he leaned heavier into my shoulder. This skin was tacky from drying sweat. 

"I'm happy you're here." A level of relief in his voice sent panic through my body; Billy was different, but still lonely and still lost.

"Can you try to have a small regard for your physical health?" I tried to tease to lighten the moment.

"Yes, ma'am." He dutifully nodded. 

"Good boy." I patted the side of his face where my hand was lingering.

"This is us," he murmured as the car swerved to the curb.

"Shit, I left my bag at the venue."

"Don't worry; Tim will grab it," Billy absently spoke.

"Should I call him?" I felt vulnerable without my bag.

"No, I promise; Tim's got it." His confidence ended the conversation.

We were quiet on the way to the room. Billy's eyes coursed over me, but his only touch was flicking a belt loop on my jeans as he leaned against the elevator wall.

"I'm going to shower," he announced as we entered the hotel room. 

Billy vanished before I could even finish glancing around the space. It was generic, with a bed and a small seating area with a TV. The bed was disheveled, and a loaded ashtray sat next to a drained coffee cup. I picked up the ashtray and set it on the sill outside the window to try to get rid of the smell before I flopped down on the couch, wishing I had my bag. Despite Billy's confidence, I called Tim.

"Hey Lil, I got your bag. I'm on my way back with it and Billy's guitar."

"Oh, okay, thanks, Timmy."

"Of course. You're with Billy, right?" Concern clouded his voice.