Chapter 12: "Moon Harvest"

Hello everyone! Enjoy this new chapter!

Not C. S. Lewis!

Chapter 12: "Moon Harvest"

Naturally we divided into groups and one by one disappeared in between the line of trees that surrounded the Dancing Lawn.

I was waiting with Bavra, the faun, for Allyri and Phaelis to start the harvest. Bavra was a very friendly faun, a soldier in the King's Army. While we waited I started to be afraid of the wind. It seemed to engulf the meadow with warm air, and at this point I would dare to say that on the coast of the castle that current would surely be something almost tropical.

"This crazy weather!" exclaimed Bravra, almost shouting to be heard above the air current.

"I know! Is it common at this time of the year?" I asked although I already knew the answer.

"Not at all! I've never seen something like this in Narnia! Such a hot air storm? I've only seen this in the deserts of Calormen!"

Back at home I've heard some theories about climate change, something about human emissions of gases that could affect the temperature, and, I was no scientist, but I'm sure as hell narnians do not emit such amounts of gases to provoke this kind of change in the climate.

Soon we were joined by Phaelis and Allyri, behind them Casio. It didn't escape to my attention Bavra's reaction when he saw the Captain of the army, because apart from the formal salutation his skin went visibly pale and his face harden.

I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought the Captain's presence was a little unpleasant.

"It's good to see you Bavra" he greeted Casio, "Lady Anne" he then added, giving me a short nod with his head. I answered with an equally short smile and a small courtesy, or stumble, that freaking storm.

"Good to see you too Captain" Bavra greeted back.

Casio cast a look over us one last time, smiled and turned back into the wood but in the direction of the castle.

"Isn't he coming to the harvest?" I curiously asked as I watched Casio part from us.

"Captain Casio? He is going back to Cair Paravel, he is needed there, I believe tomorrow leaves a company" replied Phaelis.

"Oh right" The next morning a company would leave to the North, the mission was only known by the members of the company, but rumour said it was territory of the Giants and that the company was trying to dissolve an uprising there that the crown didn't want us to know.

Spirits were low across the land after the last battle fought at the very steps of Cair Paravel and I spent the last week trying to convince my brother Bill not to ask for a position in the company heading North. That boy felt a great sense of duty with this kingdom. "Wait, aren't you supposed to have a nice night of sleep before you leave? You are one of the king's men, aren't you?" I questioned Bavra.

He looked at me strangely until he realised what I was implying "Em no, I am not going with this company" he simply answered looking away from our gazes. "Should we leave? Before the moon decides to go hiding again".

And with that he started towards the forest behind the last group left.

I looked suspiciously at the centaurides that used to be beside me and who were walking behind Bavra, but knew it was not the moment to ask about this.

As we entered the forest again I focused on not falling over any tree roots or even my own skirt, however I recalled the conversation I was having with the centaurides before in the circle.