Chapter 5- Fallen

We sat in the living room of Steve's apartment as music from the 1940's played on his radio

We sat in the living room of Steve's apartment as music from the 1940's played on his radio. Director Fury sat on a chair while I sat on the floor next to him. It was dark and we heard footsteps enter the apartment. I watch Steve pop his head out from a corner and holding onto his shield, he stops when he sees me and Director Fury.

"I don't remember giving you a key." Steve says.

Director Fury grunts in pain as he sat up in the chair. "You really think I need one? My wife kicked me out."

"I didn't know you were married." Steve says.

"A lot of things you don't know about me." Director Fury says.

"I know, Nick. That's the problem." Steve says, turning on the light. His face immediately fell when he saw the state Director Fury and I were in. Director Fury held up a hand for Steve to be silent and turns off the light. He types on his silver phone that he was holding onto and shows it to Steve.

Ears everywhere.

"I'm sorry I have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." Director Fury says. He types another message and shows it to Steve.

S.H.I.E.L.D. compromised.
Kaitlyn is in danger.

After looking at the message, Steve looks at me with worry. "Who else knows about your wife?" He asks Director Fury. Director Fury gets up from the chair and shows Steve another message.

The three of us.

"Just...my friends." Director Fury says.

"Is that what we are?" Steve asks.

"That's up to you." Director Fury says. I jump at the sudden sound of three gunshots and Director Fury crying out in pain as he falls to the ground.

"Director!" I shout. I get up from the ground but immediately duck down when I hear another gunshot and the sound of a bullet whizzing over my head.

"Stay low." Steve says as I crawl over to him and Director Fury. Steve looks out the window to see where the shooter was coming from and drags Director Fury out of the living room and into the kitchen.

"No, no, no. Director Fury." I say. My eyes fill with tears as I watched Director Fury lie on the ground, coughing and trying his hardest to breathe. "Please, don't die." Director Fury takes my hand and places something in it. I look down in confusion when I see the small flash drive he gave me.

"Don't trust anyone but Steve." Director Fury says. He looks at Steve. "Keep her safe."

"Don't leave me." I cry out.

Just as Director Fury passes out, Steve and I hear the sound of his front door being broken into. Steve places a protective hand in front of me when I get up and we hide behind a corner. "Captain Rogers?" I hear a familiar female voice call out. Steve and I both peak our heads out from the corner and see a blonde haired woman with a gun.