Chapter 12- Reunion

Steve lay unconscious while Sam and I sat by his bedside

Steve lay unconscious while Sam and I sat by his bedside. We were in the hospital after we found him lying on the edge of a river. According to Sam, Steve was fighting Bucky and tried to save him from HYDRA's brainwashing but it ended up with Bucky almost beating Steve to death. Steve was able to regain some of Bucky's memories when he rescued him from almost drowning and pulling him out of the water.

As I sat in my chair, waiting for Steve to wake up, a song by Marvin Gaye titled 'Trouble Man' was softly playing in the background. Sam sat next to me and was reading a magazine while I was staring down at my feet. "On your left." I quickly looked up at Steve and sat up in my chair when I heard his voice. He sounded raspy as he spoke.

"Were you trying to get yourself killed?" I ask Steve. Steve chuckled at my comment as I slightly moved my chair over to the side of the bed.

"This wouldn't be the first time." Sam says, turning a page of the magazine he was reading.

"Sam told me what happened. I was worried about you." I say.

Sam puts down the magazine he was reading and moves to stand behind me. "We all were. You almost had us there for a second."

"It was a pretty close call, but I'm here now." Steve says, a small smile forming on his face. Sam leaves the room after informing us he was going to tell the doctors that Steve was awake.

"Were you able to get through to him?" I ask.

"I don't know, he pulled me out of the water. He could've killed me but didn't." Steve replies.

"I know Director Fury is alive. I found out when he and Natasha rescued me from Alexander." I say.

"What did he say to you?" Steve asks.

"He explained to me why he needed to fake his death. I was pretty upset when he told me, but I'm just glad he's back." I say. The room suddenly becomes quiet when a sad look crosses my face and I look down at my feet.

A concerned expression appears on Steve's face. "What is it?" He asks.

"I have to leave again." I say, looking back up at Steve.

"Do you know where?"

I shake my head. "I don't know. Director Fury says after what happened I can no longer stay in Washington. Because of what HYDRA did, I'm not safe here anymore." I felt my eyes beginning to water and I quickly wiped away a tear before it could fall down my cheek. "I just hate having to do this. I hate having to move away all the time."

"You know, if you want, you can stay with me." Steve says.

"Steve, I don't think that's a good idea." I say.

"It'll be fine. I can talk to Director Fury see if I can convince him to let you stay with me." Steve says.

"What about your apartment? I can't stay there." I say.