Capitolo Venti

The word 'baby' stuck with Daniele for weeks after the family dinner. Every time he was near me he would look up with his big, brown eyes and say 'baby.'

Domenico had been concerned about me picking up anything from a high shelf or off the floor so he kept a watchful eye on me at all times. Antonia and the Manzoni girls were at the house more frequently than usual, already picking out names and trying to design the nursery.

I received a call from my mother telling me that she and my father were coming to visit. I was excited to see her but I still had so much disdain for him.

"Apollonia," I heard Domenico call for me throughout the house as I was picking up toys Daniele had scattered throughout the living room.

"Don't do that," my husband scolded as he caught sight of me bending over to retrieve a discarded toy train. "You can't be doing things like that in your condition."

"I'm not handicapped Domenico," I rolled my eyes. Domenico was overly protective since finding out I was pregnant, it was becoming increasingly annoying to be around him.

"I know that," he said leading me over to the beige leather couch and gently pushing me into a sitting position before joining me. "But you have to be careful."

I was now five months along in the pregnancy and had been diagnosed with high blood pressure. The moment Domenico heard the doctor say that and wanted to lock me away in our bedroom.

"I am always careful Domenico," I said leaning my head against his shoulder.

"When are your parents supposed to arrive?" Domenico changed the subject to avoid the brewing argument.

"This afternoon right before dinner," I sighed. I hadn't seen my family in over half a year and I didn't know what to expect.

"Just relax," my husband tilted my head to I was looking at him. "Your father can't hit you or talk to you anyway he wants anymore. You are my wife now and he will be in my house."

Domenico didn't particularly like my father for various reasons and I knew he wouldn't hesitate to put him in his place if the chance came. Especially if my father made any remarks about my raising Daniele or being pregnant.

"They'll only be here for a week," Domenico reminded me. "Chances are you'll only see him at dinner."

Ding Dong

The doorbell sounded throughout the mansion and my eyes instantly widened with fear, they were early.