Chapter 35

FEAR IS an understatement for what Kronack feels in his heart. Dread. Or something even stronger than that.

He's also deeply disappointed in himself. Absolutely fucking disappointed. The weight of it is unbearable.

How could he have let this happen to Kalisz? He promised to protect her, to never let that man hurt her again, but he failed.

He fucking failed!

"Son, please, umuwi at maligo ka muna. Magpalit ka na muna ng damit. Your clothes reeks of blood." Mom pleaded voice strained.

Yumuko siya at sinabunutan ang buhok niya dahil sa galit sa sarili.

"Son..." Umiiyak ng bulong sa kanya ng ina.

"I failed her mom..." Kronack whispered, his voice breaking.

Hindi ito nagsalita. Kinabig lang siya nito at niyakap habang umiiyak. Kronack appreciated that his mom didn't try to contradict him because, no matter how he looked at it, his failure to protect Kalisz was like fire, burning him with guilt.

"Kronack."

Nagtaas siya ng tingin nang tinawag siya ng ama.

"Dad."

Kunot ang noo nito habang nakatingin sa kanilang dalawa ni Mom. The praising and understanding father was gone. In his place stood the father none of his brothers ever wanted to face.

"Fix yourself." Madilim ang mukha na anito. "We will hunt every man of that deranged man that helped him."

"What are you up to, mahal?" tanong ng ina niya.

Mabilis na nawala ang dilim sa mukha ng ama ng binalingan nito si mom.

"Send a few men to the dungeon, mahal." Masuyong hinaplos ni Dad ang basang mukha ni Mom dahil sa pag-iyak. "Don't cry already. You know how much I hate seeing you cry, mahal. Don't worry those men will get what they deserve for helping a psychopath." Hinalikan ni Dad ang noo ni Mom.

"Okay... Call me when you get a hold of them. I want to give them a little something to remember," Mom said, glancing at him with a smile that sent a shiver down his spine. "No one messes with the Crown and walks away a free man, son. Now, go fix yourself and hunt them down. We'll show them who we are," anito sa matamis pero puno ng pagbabanta na boses habang hinahaplos ang pisngi niya.

Kronack was stunned. The two looked dangerous.

So different.

Kronack and his brothers had heard lengthy tales about how dangerous and terrifying their parents could be. These stories, courtesy of Uncle Siege, Uncle Vaxx, and a few others within their parents' trusted circle, painted a picture of fearsome figures. But Kronack had never seen that side of them.

Not until now...

His dad had always been strict but was more often praising and understanding—a far cry from the violent and dangerous man Uncle Vaxx sometimes described. His mom, on the other hand, was sweet, loving, and always radiated a friendly aura—nothing like the cunning and ruthless woman Uncle Siege often called her.

Kronack shook his head and sighed, glancing at the door where Kalisz was being treated by Leaf and the other doctors from his brothers' team.

"But mom—"

"Don't worry, I'll stay here with them," Mom said, glancing at the four men silently standing nearby. "They're here to guard the place, and some of our men are stationed outside as well."

Ayaw man niyang umalis ay alam niya na iyon ang mas makabubuti. He has to help his brothers catch those madfuckers. It would also help distract him from the worries that grew more maddening with each passing minute.