Intro

I'm raised in somewhat of a free range system compared to other Ground Blocks. The one I've grown up in has procedures that are greatly influenced on emotions and traditions. I'm lucky for that. Me and the rest of my ground mates are raised here by the Buds.
Buds are the caretakers and teachers chosen for raising each Block's children.
As I said, our system is considered very laid back compared to others. We are given great amounts of social time with each of our ground mates. We are cared for and grow up like children used to decades ago. Our Ground Block council believes tradition is key in child development.

Moving on from all the boring nonsense, I'll get to the start.
I'm a bright fifteen year old girl. I'm shy and prefer keeping to myself. I have a partner, Zachariah. I don't need others when I have him.
We've been close for some time now, enjoying what time we have together.
Me and my ground mates are fifteen, almost sixteen. Well, some of us are sixteen, but by the end of this week we'll all be sixteen. This is a valued age, an age where we are given more independence, but also more restrictions. However none of us know yet what's really to come.

—————————
Guys it'll get better I promise, I just needed to set out the local color.
Try reading the next part