Smiley

I walk in and place my suit case and bag under the bed. Gideon stays quiet and continues reading his book.
"I thought we'd have separate bedrooms."
"As did I." His voice was calm and stern. Chills ran up my spine. His skin was pale and his hair was dark. I notice his suit.
"Weren't you given the option for new clothes?"
He nods.
"It's pointless. I prefer these clothes."
"It says nothing about you."
"And yours..." he looked up at my dress, but refused to meet my eyes. "Say quite a lot."
"Thanks..." I say sarcastically, fidgeting and such. I walk over to the window and look out.
This isn't right. I'd talk to someone but I'm not quite sure who to talk to. They never told me.
I sat down a few feet from him in the bed. I press my nails into my knees and continue to look out the window. There has to have been a mistake. Gideon isn't the type I'd enjoy being around. He's not just quiet, but it seems like he's angry all the time. I'm a half glass full person. I can't be around angry people.
"Uhm, I can sleep on the floor for tonight, or at least until I can get us a different apartment."
"That's absurd. Obviously I'm sleeping on the floor. You're a lady. You should take the bed.." his voice quiets down as his face grows red.
"Thanks."

———

Dinner was served in a larger hall now. Instead of getting to sit with our own friends, we had to sit with our pairs. I noticed since Zach had no pair, he was free to choose where to eat. However he chose to sit with his own friends. My stomach turned and eyes saddened. Why wouldn't he sit with me? Did I do something wrong? I thought we planned to make this work.

———

GPOV
Ida stared down at her food and drew smiles face in her gravy with a fork.
"I think your gravy is happy enough as it is." I say, keeping my eyes in my book.
She stopped and smiled up at me. "It's a habit."
Her face was strained.
"Uhm, not that it's my business, or even that I care, but um.. is something bothering you? Again I only ask because it's our duties as pairs to get to know each other." She stared down and replied,
"Not really, kind of just put off. Zach didn't sit with me and I think it's because he's upset."
"Doesn't he have to sit with his own partner?" Ida shook her head.
"He doesn't have one. He isn't generously compatible with any of the other female ground mates. Which means he could sit wherever he wants."
I stay quiet and think. This isn't something I should speak my mind on.

———

IPOV
Back in our apartment me and Gideon try to sort out the showering arrangements.
"You shower first. Then I'll go after. Don't worry, I'm no pervert." Gideon said. I nodded and grabbed a towel.
"Thank you."
In the shower I massaged my head and thought. Tomorrow I'll get some answers. Surely they wouldn't have lied to us like this on purpose.
I love steamy showers. My favorite part is drawing on the mirror.

———

GPOV
I wait on the bed, anxiously tapping my foot. My hands stiffly sit on my knees. We'll fix this tomorrow, I think to myself. Over and over.
My thoughts are interrupted with a wave a steam leaving as Ida opens the door. I avert my eyes as she walks past, but stare at her bare shoulders uncovered by her towel. Her skin looks so soft and warm. I catch and stop myself before she notices, grabbing my towel and entering the bathroom. Looking towards the mirror I see hundreds of smiley faces drawn over it.

———

Mmm steamy 😏