Forest Gump

July 20 is the last aging day for me and my ground mates. After that, we're all sixteen.
Today it is now July 21, Pairing day as we've been taught. A day where we're not really sure what it means.
Walking to breakfast I'm greeted by Zach.
"Ida, hey. You excited?"
"Meh. Honestly there's an uneasy feeling growing in my stomach. Everything we've known is gonna be different now." Zach shrugged.
"Meh, it can't be that different." I rolled my eyes and laughed.
"Alright, I'm also incredibly hungry. I can't fast forever you know." Zach said as he pulled me away with him to the dining hall.
———
I'm skipping the whole breakfast bits because it's really not that interesting. I mean do you wanna hear me discuss all the details of me digesting a pancake?
———
After breakfast we were instructed to head to our own quads. I followed the girls in my own. It's difficult for me to make friends, but of course I'm gonna have like one or two. Okay, I have one. But still, she's really outgoing, careless, and loyal. Kind of a perfect friend for a quiet person like me . Her names-
"Juliana! Hey. Sorry I got stuck in traffic back there."
"It's cause you walk too slow, and you're kind of clumsy. Honestly though, at least you don't have to worry about getting another warning."
"Another wa-" Juliana holds up the small yellow paper and waves it around. I laugh.
"Yeah, laugh now. You'll see. I'm gonna be one of the fastest runners out there on the track. Like in the movies and books we read and watch." She's quiet for a second, thinking. Then blurts out "like Forrest Gump! You saw that movie right? He was a great runner and everyone praised him for that." I smiled at Juliana, because although her dreams seemed quite realistic, Juliana along with everyone else knew that it'd be impossible. We're not like the children who get to live outside the Stem. We are special. Extraordinarily intelligent as some Buds say.
Never mind all that.
Me and Juliana, along with the four other girls staying in our quad sit around and wait. Finally we're given directions by the speaker in our room.
"All children are to be sent to the dining hall for their mid-day meals. After that female groups A-J, report to Lab 103, where you'll be assigned your designated partner."
Partner? We're assigned partners? For what? Is it long term or for a small project. What if I don't like my partner?
Hundreds of questions raced through my mind as I stand up and walk down with Juliana.

———
So like, in the description and tags I labeled this a love story. And you might be like "Ehh this isn't really a love story...boooo..." and all that whiny jazz, but it is. I promise. I could make this a whole lot of a longer page but it just makes more sense to start a new one.
Hopefully you start to see what's happening in the next part.
Thanks🐱