Pairing

Each Ground Group are given names by the Buds, each child having their own letter to claim.
In simpler terms, there are twenty-six boys, and twenty-six girls, adding up to fifty-two ground children.
I am Ida, and there is no other girl with a name beginning with I in my own ground group. However there is one boy with the letter I. His name is Isaiah. Sharing a letter with a child of the opposite gender does not have any significance. Me and Isaiah hardly know each other.
With this system it is easier to call down children for testings, learning, whatever basically. We're also given numbers, but the Stem Council believe it's best to have names as well.

I'm sent down with girls A-J for our pairing. Me and Juliana talk and wonder what it could mean. I'm ungrateful for being given a letter within the first group of girls. If my letter were to have been later on I might've been able to hear gossip of what this pairing really is.
It doesn't matter really as I'm about to find out. We wait outside the room, watching as Abigail is first sent in. Barely a minute passes when she is sent out, and Breanna is sent in. Juliana pulls Abigail aside and asks,
"What is it, what'd they say?"
"Uhm, they just told me my partner was Kurt and directed me back to our ground room." Her face was sour. "Of all the boys. Kurts an asshole." She walks away.
Breanna walks out and Caroline is sent in. I turn to Juliana.
"What do you think this means? The chances of me getting paired with Zach is so small." Juliana notices the hint of panic in my voice.
"I'm sure it's nothing. We're not gonna be forced to marry these kids or anything."
Caroline comes out and Desiree walks in. Juliana watches the Bud guard and whispers to me,
"You know the Lotus, that defend our Ground Blocks and basically the rest of the Ground Blocks." I nod, "I heard what we've been raised for, our entire life, is for that. We'd become the new Lotus of our Ground Block."
Desiree walks out and Ember walks in.
"I read about how Lotus soldiers work together. One male and one female are needed, along with a strong bond." My body eases and I smile, "Then I'm sure me and Zach will be together, we get along so well." Juliana shrugs.
Ember leaves and Georgia enters.
"Did you read anything else on how they work? Or the bonds?" Juliana asks.
"Uhm, not really. Damnit, I should've. I was bored by it all, I didn't think I'd need to know any of it."
Georgia leaves and Harper walks in.
"Wait I remember one thing!  Not all Lotus soldiers need a partner. There are some that are incompatible with any of their ground mates. They are given their own Lotus pod to fight with. Although it's potential isn't as great, they are strong for one person fighters."
Harper leaves. I look toward the door and realize I'm next. Juliana flashes me a thumbs up and I smile, walking into the room.
"Ground Child 189, or Ida, please take a seat."
I sit down on the grey cold bed. Tubes rush into my arms, extracting blood. The doctor walks to his computer and reads for a few seconds. His eyes widen.
"189, your assigned partner is Ground Child 146, also known as Gideon." My heart beats out of my chest.
What about Zach?
"Are you sure? What's this based on?" The doctor looks toward me.
"All questions will be answered after the pairings are complete. Please head back to your Ground Room."
My chest is stiff and my heart heavy. I leave the room barley meeting Julianas eyes.
"So?"
"I'll uh talk to you about it once you gets yours." She rolls her eyes.
"Pfft, alright." Juliana walks in as I walk away.

Gideon...

———

I'm aware how confusing the whole setup of how their lives are. I can explain and answer any questions, and revise whatever needs to be fixed.