Chapter Seven

December 7th

It had been a couple weeks since Ray and I had talked and I was kind of okay with that. If we did talk, I wouldn't know what to say. I'd probably just start crying. I really liked him and the fact we broke up over something that I wasn't even apart of was crazy.

Papa drove me to school that morning and before he unlocked the door for me to get out, he wanted to talk to me.

"It is so much different here." His Indian accent coming through more than just "slight" when he got serious, "Every time your mother turns on the news there's something going wrong in the world." he looked at me, "you are my only daughter Theophilia. My heart, and I thank Allah everyday for you in my life. And your mother. You two are my perfect family. I could never ask for me.." he sighed, "That is why I want to keep you around me for as long as I can."

"Papa." I smiled and hugged him and kissed his cheek, "Alhamdulilah."

"Alhamdulilah. Have a good day." he smiled. I glanced through the mirror and saw Ray's jeep pull up right behind us.

"Goodbye Papa."

"Alhamdulilah!" he waved out the window.

"Alhamdulilah! Have a nice trip!" I quickly waved back and turned around just as he was pulling off.

"Philly," I heard that familiar voice call my name, "wait."

"Yeah?"

"What did you say back there?" he got caught up to me, "it sounded-"

"Weird?"

"Sexy." he chuckled slightly, "Never weird."

"It means.. Praise God, or in my father's case, Allah."

"So.. are you..?"

"Muslim? No."

"Good." he chuckled.

"Good?"

"Not in a bad way, just that, I'd feel like an ass for not knowing my girlfriend was Muslim while we were dating."

"Oh," I clutched my books tighter. "I gotta go."

"Wait.." that made me turn around, "I'm sorry.. about everything.. How we broke up. I didn't mean to offend you, or your father. Can you tell him I apologize?"

"I guess."

"I'm sorry, again.." he nodded his head and then walked away.

Ray's POV

"Dude, go back there and tell her how you really feel!" my thoughts were eating away at me.

"I just can't.." I thought back to myself, "I'm an idiot. She was perfect."

"Just think about how sweet she probably is too. Ohh, and the fact she's a virgin? Tight as hell."

"Stop that, I don't have time to be sexually frustrated this morning."

"Don't act like you weren't thinking about it."

"I was, but we aren't dating anymore.." I sighed, not in my head, and continued walking. "And plus, she said she didn't wanna be like other girls I'd been with. So, even if we were dating, having sex with her would be basic, just like it was with the rest of them."

"Stupid."

I finished having a conversation with myself and got ready for my day. My Human A&P class was confusing as all get out, especially without getting help from Philly, it felt like everything was like when I first came here and had no clue what was going on.