Chapter 3

Mr. Vens was an old man who was always a little “too.” He was always a little too happy. He was always a little too talkative. He was always a little toowanting, and when I introduced him to Finn he was a little too curious.

“ I didn’t know Edith had a friend?” Was the first thing Mr. Vens said when we entered his office. He smiled widely before standing up from his chair and shaking Finn’s hand.

Finn smiled back, but his wasn’t like Mr. Vens, it wasn’t desperate and awkward. It just sat on his face like it belonged there.

“ This is Finn.” Mr. Vens raised an eyebrow before nodding.

“ Finn what a very nice name, now you wouldn’t happen to have parents of irish descent would you?” Finn rubbed the back of his neck as Mr. Vens motioned us to sit.

Mr.Vens’ office was small, not so small that you couldn’t breathe, but it was just small enough so that you believed you couldn’t. His bookshelves were unorganized with books popping out here and there. Long story short, I did not like Mr.Vens’ office, but I sat anyway.

“ Surprisingly no, I guess my mother just really enjoyed the name.” Mr.Vens nodded and continued to stare before putting his glasses on his desk.

He remained standing as he looked at both of us. I didn’t like it when Mr.Vens stood and spoke to me, in a way it made me feel as if he were looking down on me, as if he were better then me and some sort of way. When I tried to explain this to him he started asking me questions, like if I ever was annoyed by how there were three different colors on a stoplight or if I sometimes felt a weird urge to clean messes, but I didn’t answer it because all the while he continued to stand.

“ How did you two meet?” Mr. Vens eventually asked finally seating himself in his big leather arm chair.

“ On the street.” Finn answered looking over at me as if he needed my permission to speak.

Mr.Vens made an “ahh” sound before turning his focus towards me..

“ You’ve been very quiet Edith, is something bothering you?” I slouched down on the couch where Finn and I had placed ourselves.

“ I’m just tired.” I muttered before briefly shutting my eyes.

“ Ah, yes your father did mention that you haven’t been sleeping lately.” I stared at him for a second before focusing on the silver pen in his hand. “ When was the last time you had a solid five hours of sleep.”

I glanced at Finn who stared back at me and shifted uncomfortably. At the moment I realized maybe it wasn’t such a good idea inviting a very attractive boy to watch me talk about my problems with a forty-two year old man.

I looked back at Mr. Vens before shrugging and whispering an, “I don’t know.”