viii

THE BARRENS

" Calm your tits

" Calm your tits. "

we all set our bikes down as we walk up to the barrens entrance. "that's poison ivy, and.. that's poison ivy, and that's poison ivy." Stan points out at the three sections of poison ivy. i shake my head at the amount he cares about getting some rash. "where? where's the poison ivy?" Eddie grows worried. i pat his shoulder.

"no where." Richie says, trying to assure him. "Not every fucking plant is poison ivy, Stanley!" Richie snaps at Stan, causing me to sigh. "Okay, well im starting to get itchy and im pretty sure, im breaking out." i chuckle and i shake my head at the worrisome boy.

"Why are you laughing? this isn't funny." Eddie's attention is now completely on me. "Cause you're oblivious." I teased. He scoffed. "Am not." i roll my eyes at him before walking up to where Richie, Bill and Stan now were.

Richie and Bill were in the barrens, Stan, Eddie and I stayed back. "Do you use the same bathroom as your mother?" Richie asks Eddie, I bite my lip trying not to laugh as i know where this is going. "Sometimes, yeah." Eddie tells the boy as he looks around. "Then you probably have crabs." Richie teases him, I then fail to hold in my laughter and i burst out laughing.

"so not funny." Eddie snaps at the taller boy, I put a hand on Stan's shoulder for some support, his shoulder then tenses up and i put a hand on my stomach and i stop myself from laughing, "you done?" Eddie scolds me, causing me to flip him off.

"You okay?" I ask Stan since he seems nervous. He nods. "Aren't you guys coming in." We all shake our heads. "Nah, it's greywater." He states causing me to furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "What the hell is greywater?" Richie and I say in unison causing us to share a look. "It's basically piss and shit so im just telling you, you guys are splashing around in millions of gallons of Derry pee." Eddie explains.

Richie picks up a bag from the disgusting water with his stick. "what are you - are you serious?" Eddie scolds Richie causing me to rest my head on Stan's shoulder and just laugh at the two boys bickering.

Richie brought the bag up to his nose, taking a whiff. "it doesn't smell like caca to me, senior." Richie says in a spanish accent causing me to roll my eyes at my friend's stupidity. "Oh okay, i-i can smell that from here." Eddie says and i just shake my head at the two.

"do they always do this?" i ask Stan in a whisper-voice. "oh - uh yeah.." he explains to me, i nod. "Seriously, are you okay?" I ask the talker boy, removing my head from his shoulder and standing in front of him. He nods. I sigh and go back to listening to the two boys arguing. "No!!" Eddie shouted. Richie had thrown the bag at him but the tree branch had blocked him. He jumped back.

"Guys!" Bill shouts at us from inside of the barren causing us all to turn our full attention to him. He held up a dirty shoe. "Shit, don't tell me that's.." stan and i grow worried. Bill shook his head. "No, G - Georgie wore galoshes." He said.