Chapter 9: Obstacles and Challenges

When Espio and Destinee walked towards the door-like walls, they saw that it had different patterns on it. Each of them had a clockwise lock where you will turn it to open it. That meant that they were not really walls at all. Each of them was a stoned door with a clockwise lock and a unique pattern. By pattern, they looked more like pictures.

"The first challenge is to choose the right door to open to be led to the next obstacle. If you choose the wrong one, you will either end up being booby-trapped or encounter a deadly path", explained Destinee,"So in order to choose the right door, we must investigate the pictures on each door and see which one is most unique among the others".

He nodded as they both investigate each picture on the doors. Going to the left, the first door had a female chameleon fighting a badnik. The second one had a male chameleon throwing a shuriken at a black-hooded enemy. The third had both male and female chameleons fighting off enemies alongside each other with a dragon background on it. The fourth had another female chameleon fighting an evil witch while the fifth had another male chameleon fighting a badnik.

As they investigated each picture, they found that they were all different, but only four of them had something in common.

"The pictures are all different, but they must have something in common. Specifically, only four of them, so the last one must be the right door", explained Espio.

Destinee was still deep in thought about the right door. After a while, she said,"Different pictures, which all have the same battle. All have the same species fighting off enemies, but only four had them fighting enemies alone with one having two chameleons fighting off enemies side by side".

"So that means—", he began, then they looked at each other and said at the same time,"The third wall is most unique among the others".

So they headed over to the third door and Destinee turned the lock clockwise and the door suddenly opened to reveal an empty hall.

"Is this supposed to be the right door?", Espio asked Destinee.

"I'm not sure, but it's now or never", answered Destinee as they both entered the third door.

As they did, they saw a torch on the side and Destinee decided to grab it and they moved on. As they kept walking, they heard nothing but the sound of their footsteps, for it is dark and silent.

A while later, Destinee accidentally stepped on a secret pressure plate and they both slightly gasped. Then, Espio sensed an axe coming down towards them and he pushed both himself and Destinee forward to save themselves.

When they looked at each other, they were slightly shocked that their faces were a centimeter away from each other again and they both blushed without being noticed. A moment later, he got up and lend her a hand. She took it and got up as well.

"Thanks, Espio. I would've been chopped by an axe if you wouldn't come by my side", she said to him.

He blushed slightly and replied,"You're... welcome".

Then, they look forward in the hallway as she said,"We are in the right door and our next obstacle is to get through an empty hallway full of hidden booby traps, so we have to be cautious of our surroundings".

"I know", he said as he held her hand causing her to blush slightly,"And together, we'll overcome any challenges that lies before us".

She smiled warmly and nodded. Then, they got through an empty hallway using their ninja skills while helping each other avoid other hidden booby traps.

At the end of the hallway...

As they ran to the next obstacle, Destinee stopped and put her arm in front of Espio (which surprised him) warning him,"Wait, Espio. We're already on the next obstacle. It contains booby-trapped basepates with pictures of different kinds of martial arts. The only way to get through it is hopping on each plate that contains a ninja".