~ escape pt. 1 ~

Klaus' P.O.V

They put us in jail. Jail. For a crime, we so clearly didn't commit because apparently, all the adults we ever come across are twats. The ones who aren't twats, disappear or never contact us again. I sighed and put my head in my hands.

"There's gotta be something we can do." Violet began to tie her hair up with her ribbon. This gave me hope. Hope we might escape the fate of being burned alive because we were wrongly accused of murdering someone. Jee, this isn't how I pictured my teenage years going. "Klaus, can you think of anything useful you've read that could help us?"

"Um well, I-" Wait. I- Is that today? I remembered something. Something I'd rather not remember while in jail.

"Yes?" Violet looked hopeful.

"I-I just remembered, it- it's my birthday today." She undid her hair and came to sit next to me.

"Oh, Klaus, we forgot all about it," Violet said. Sunny patted my knee affectionately.

"I did too, I only remembered when I thought about a book I'd read about a boy who goes to jail then becomes a long-distance runner and I got that as a present a year ago today exactly."

She smiled, "Mother and father made that terrible bread pudding."

"They promised me that this year I'd have the best birthday ever. I don't mean to sound spoiled but I was really hoping for a better birthday than being imprisoned for murder and burned at the stake." Her eyes filled with tears.

"This is a terrible birthday." But then her eyes flitted across the room "But.." and her hands reached for her ribbon.

"I think there is a present waiting for you..."

"What, stale bread and dusty water?" A feast.

"Deus ex machina." I knew she'd think of something. She always thinks of something.

Isadora's P.O.V

Murderers? Yeah, that's likely. And accusing little Sunny of murder? Count Olaf really is desperate. I just hoped the three of them would either convince everyone they were innocent, or pull off a badass jailbreak. I was obviously hoping for the first one, but badass Klaus was something I wanted to see... Don't get distracted, Isadora. Your friends are in peril, (a/n pEnUlTiMaTE pEriL?) and all you're thinking about is that? I always made fun of girls for obsessing over boys but damn, once you found one to obsess over, it was hard to stop. I mean obsess is probably too strong a word...I wasn't obsessed, was I? Maybe I just...loved him...a little bit...?

"Earth to Isadora??? I kinda feel we should be talking about what we overheard? NOT swooning over Klaus Baudelaire?"

"Shut up, I'm not swooning..."

"Oh, you're swooning hard. But that's not the point. The point is, did the Baudelaires find all the couplets?"

He actually wants to stay on track and not tease his sister? Wow. Mature Duncan is taking some getting used to. "I have faith in them, they're-" I was interrupted by a huge

*SMASH*

Violet's P.O.V

Normally, a huge cloud of dust isn't something you'd be overjoyed to see, but this cloud of dust? I could have kissed it. It was the cloud of dust that formed when we knocked down the outside wall of the jail cell. The jail cell we were wRoNgLy iMpRiSoNeD in. (a/n >:( angry violet)

I picked up Sunny and the three of us stumbled out. Klaus was a genius. He managed to decode a message hidden in Isadora's couplets. If we were right, the should be in or near the Fowl Fountain. We wandered quickly round the corner making sure no one saw us and made our way to the horrid fountain. Sure, it looked big enough to fit two small-ish teens, not comfortably, but they'd fit.

"Right. How?-" Klaus started.

"We need to look for some sort of...lever or button? That opens the statue."

"Hollee!" Sunny shrieked.

"No! That's too dangerous!" I shrieked back.

"We could drop you!" Klaus agreed.

"Othapla?" She was right though, what other plan did we have? She was the only one small enough for us to hold up to look down the beak of the crow. I looked at my brother, he looked just as against this plan as I was. But Sunny insisted so we held her above our heads.

"Can you see anything?"

"Is it hollow?"

"Is Duncan there?"

"Isadora??"

"Steenove..." We both shook our heads in embarrassment and in the process, slightly let go of Sunny's feet...

Duncan's P.O.V

I could hear voices? They were talking quietly before I heard a shriek that could only have come from one place. I looked at Isadora before saying

"Sunny?" No reply. Obviously, they couldn't hear us. I only prayed they could figure out how to open the statue. Then, something grabbed the beak, or should I say someone. This, someone, was Sunny, god knows how she got up here. I could see her little head and small ponytail sticking up through the beak.

"SUNNY!" We both yelled

"ISA! DUNCAN!" She yelped and lost her grip. I almost screamed at the thought of her getting hurt. But her four sharp teeth saved her and soon she was clinging on by her canines. While her little arms were flailing, her body weight seemed to cause the beak to open. The lever clicked and slowly but surely, our prison opened up around us.

A/N

I'M SO INCREDIBLY EVIL I KNOW!

lol, I'm just kidding, go to the next chapter, i ain't that mean,

;)

922 words