The Break

Jessica was waiting in a cafe for Anusha to come, who wanted to discuss and sort the issue between Zach and Jessica. Anusha, already late by half-an-hour, finally arrived and wailed 'Sorry' as she sat across the table. 'Finally,' said Jessica.

'How are you?' asked Anusha.

'Same old shit.' Jessica grimaced.

'See...' Anusha began but the waitress interrupted her, 'Order, ma'am?'

Anusha quickly ordered two cold coffees and sent off the waitress.

'I don't know where to start?' said Anusha. 'I know what he said was senseless. He was just a little pissed. He actually feels bad for that, now.' 'Whatever.' Jessica sighed.

There was silence. Anusha wanted to address the elephant in the room - Ankit. But she didn't know how to start.

'Jess, you remember during college you always spoke about performing for a huge audience and all that,' said Anusha as Jessica listened quietly, her gaze fixed to the glass of water on the table. 'Well, you're exactly living your dream.' Jessica looked at Anusha as she said that.

'See, Ankit's gone. It's been almost a year. You have to move on,' said Anusha who somehow finally got to the point. Jessica quickly defended her. 'I've moved on. I wouldn't be sitting here I hadn't, I Would probably be in rehab or dead, okay?'

'But your heart is still there. And, don't tell anything. I know. We all know.'

There was a moment of silence as the waitress served the cold coffee. As the waitress went Jessica spoke. 'It's not that easy. I also think about it at times but--but it's like I keep running in circles.' 'It's okay. I am actually happy to hear that from you. Finally, you're trying to uplift yourself,' said Anusha as she took a sip.

'You know what I think - You should a break. Go to your parents' place, spend some time with them, do yoga, go for therapy if you want. Not sure if all that works but a lot out there are into all that, must help in one or the other way.'

'So, basically, want me to see broke and homeless,' mocked Jessica, and the mood turned light.

They laughed and sipped the coffee.