Chapter 11

When the houses disappear and the trail home begins Rylin speaks up.

"He's just afraid. Don't believe a word he said."

"Oh great, you heard."

"We all did. His thoughts and emotions were very loud."

"Lovely." He chuckles.

"He's conflicted. He loves you too much to let you into his world. He doesn't want you to get hurt."

"I'm already hurt." He realizes I'm not talking about my legs and holds me close I'm an attempt to comfort me.

"You know, you're pretty intuitive for a sixteen year old." He grins proud of my compliment. Rylin is my favorite. He's like a baby I just want to nurture. His sweet nature makes me want to shield him from this world which is ironic since he's probably killed more people than I want to know.

"I know what it's like you know...to feel the need to shut out your mate." I stare in shock.

"You found your mate already? Where is she?" He stares into the trees and sighs.

"She's in the tribe. Fate is messed up." He shakes his head.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, I stay away from her. I don't want her to know yet."

"But, why?"

"She's only thirteen." My mouth hangs open in surprise. She was twelve when he shifted the first time.

"She's so young. She deserves a chance to have some normalcy. I made a promise to myself that I'd avoid her until she was eighteen."

"Rylin, I'm sorry. I wish I could do something to take the pain away. I know what it's like to want to be with someone everyday of your life and be so far from them."

"Don't feel sorry for me, I'll be okay. Just promise me you won't let your love go to waste. Come to our tribe dinner tomorrow. If they all ignore you I swear I'll be right beside you and make them wish they were us." I laugh.

"Okay, can you meet me here tomorrow?" I ask as he sits me down gently on the porch.

"Of course."

I walk into the house and wince at the feeling of the stitches rubbing against my pants. Mom and dad are snuggles up on the couch watching tv. They notice me and ask me to join them.

I slowly make my way over, gritting my teeth. The pain medicine is in my Pocket but I don't want them to know I'm hurt.

"Honey, are you alright?" Mom asks.

"Mhm." I manage it get out. Dad flips on the lamp and moms shrieks.

"What on earth? You're hurt!" She shouts. I look down in horror as the blood trickles down my left leg.

Dad helps me into the bathroom and cuts open my pants to find the source of bleeding. He stops at my knees where the injury begins. I couldn't imagine peeling them off so they were no good to me anyway. I look into his eyes and see worry.

"Dad, I'm alright."

"What happened?" He asks with a knowing tone.

"I stumbled across a lone wolf."

"Where was Nikan? He should know better than to leave you defenseless."

"He was hunting the wolf down. He didn't meet me at our spot so I went looking for him. The wolf managed to sink his claws into my knees before Nik could get to him. I... I had to shoot the wolf bwcause he tried to kill Nik." I whisper.