[ 20 ] Closing Time

a/n: Very excited that we've gotten this far!!

At around midnight, Alluka passed out on Gon's bed thinking it was Killua's, pulled the blankets over her head, and ceased to exist for the night. Not only that, but she raided Gon's clothes and, considering most of his old clothes were oversized to hide his body, they fit her swimmingly.

Killua and Gon stared in absolute dismay at Alluka completely passed out in Gon's bedroom before Killua reached over for the door handle and gently closed the door.

The moment it was closed, he closed his eyes and steadied himself against the doorframe. "I'm... so sorry about this," he said.

Gon crossed his arms with a smirk and said, "Did... Did you just apologize? To me? The Great Killua Zoldyck apologizing— "

As if Killua's stuffy head wasn't already throbbing , it abruptly rendered him useless. He couldn't speak, much less defend himself—not when he was this exhausted and fed up with life.

He went to his room and disappeared behind the door. Gon bit his lip and looked away, rubbing a hand beneath his chin as he wondered aloud, "Maybe that was a bit harsh..." in a hushed voice.

A moment later, though, Killua emerged again, this time with his arms full of blankets.

He dropped them next to the kotatsu, brushed his hands off, and said, "In case she wakes up, we should both sleep out here—since she doesn't know about my actual room."

"R-Right," Gon agreed. He blinked, speechless for a moment, before he realized what they were doing. He gasped. "Like a slumber party?!"

Killua frowned. "No—"

"I can't remember the last time I had a slumber party," Gon said, thrilled. He ran to get ready for bed, at which point, Killua gave up trying to fight it and instead set to work unfolding the blankets into makeshift sleeping bags.

When they were both ready for sleep, the two of them settled under the covers, their backs turned to one another. Gon, facing the window, and Killua, facing the kitchen. It was a dreadful period of silence, one that sent Gon's anxiety into overdrive.

How could he say something so hurtful, even to Killua? He had no excuses for treating Killua like that, no matter how rude Killua tended to be. Gon clenched his fists into the blanket and pulled his knees up, tense and frustrated with himself for always blurting out the first thing on his mind.

Gon heard the blankets rustle several feet away from him. He heard Killua turn onto his back before sighing, the covers pulled up to his chin. Still awake , Gon thought, hesitant to look over his shoulder.

After a moment of silence, Gon cleared his throat and said, quietly, "I thought you were working tonight."

"In a way," Killua whispered, eyes on the ceiling.

Intrigued, Gon really did look over his shoulder. Killua's face was enshrouded in moonlight. "What does that mean?" Gon asked. He really didn't understand the club business, and his imagination tended to run wild.

Killua glanced at Gon before looking away. Gon turned away. He wasn't sure why he expected Killua to answer him. Killua's work is off limits , Gon reminded himself, and he'd just have to be happy with knowing what, exactly, Killua's work even was .

But then, Killua said, "I've been hired to be an escort. For one of my regulars."

Gon's brow furrowed. He pushed up onto his elbow and turned back to Killua, an eyebrow raised. Killua looked at him out of the corner of his eyes and said, "You don't know what an escort is, do you."