Parts of a Plot

Without a gripping plot that grips your reader's attention, nobody's going to read your book. Lead your reader to what happens next. This doesn't mean lead our reader to a high-speed car chase or a murder scene at every turn; your reader should be interested in the most simple things even if it's just as simple as two people talking over tea. Here are the basic parts of a story: 

Rising Action or Exposition

This is the beginning of a story, when you introduce the readers to the main characters, setting, and lastly the central main conflict. However, it's completely okay to skip this part and go straight to the middle of the action, making the reader work backward to the begging of the story. 

The Conflict

This is the stakes of the story. There should always be something at stake in every story or the reader has literally no reason to keep reading, no matter how beautiful and interesting your writing style is. Every story needs conflict, a point of tension. The nature of the conflict isn't always important, the only thing important is getting the readers to care. 

The Falling Action

This is the last part of a story the resolution. The conflict is resolved or discussed, and the story is about to be wrapped up. It doesn't have to be an extremely happy ending, neat and it doesn't have to tie everything together. Many stories leave the readers on a cliff hanger and give the reader the chance to create their own ending. It gives the book mystery and allure.