Chapter 8

Even after that day, Kenma's life seemed to form a new kind of normal. A normal where he would sleep through his classes. A normal where he wouldn't want to wake up in the morning. A normal where he would only get up at the thought of Kuroo.

Every day, not a minute late, Kenma would always visit Kuroo. Just like how Kuroo visited Kenma in his hard times, Kenma tried to do the same for him. The difference was, Kenma still needed Kuroo by his side. Without him, he was going back to his same cycle, with only a small amount of time to spend with his soulmate.

Kuroo would normally notice all of Kenma's abnormalities, but he had his own issues. As his health got progressively worse, he had less space to think about things he found important, like Kenma and his friends and well, even more Kenma. Now, he had to focus on other things, like breathing and keeping his eyes open and even just saying one word took all of his will power.

Every night when Kenma had to leave, Kuroo's attendants would almost immediately come in the room and make sure he was ok. He didn't want to show it, but interacting with Kenma kept getting harder and harder. Eventually, Kuroo had to tell Kenma to stop sitting with him in bed and it broke his heart to do even that. What would he do if he had to... let go?

Anyways, to be honest, neither of them were in the condition to do much of anything. Just visiting each other was pushing their limits, yet they were both still reliant on each other. At this point, any small thing could ruin either of them, they were walking on a fine line.

~~~

One day, Kenma pulled himself out of bed and went to his last class for the day, he had missed the rest of them. He went to the building with the lecture hall dejectedly. He had his earbuds in, yet nothing was playing. It was just the muffled noise of people passing by that accompanied him on his meaningless walk.

He managed to stay awake through class, but didn't hear a word of what his professor was talking about. Finally ready to go to the hospital, Kenma hopped into the car, Kuroo's car and got on his way. Every time he got into that car, he was first reminded of Kuroo by his scent filling the car. He secondly remembered Kuroo's confrontation to Kenma about his condition. That moment in this very car was the reason for an inevitable spiral into pain.

It would be so easy just to end this stupid car and turn into the intersection.

Kenma started to think about different ways he could get rid of this damned car. Deep down, he knew it wasn't the cars fault. It was just dumb fate ruining everything. Why does everything good have to end so abruptly in his life?

It's probably my fault. I don't even deserve to be here anymore, I should just leave. No. I need to stay around for Kuroo, he needs me.

~~~

Kenma finally got to the hospital. He once again walked to Kuroo's room, and walked in with ease.

"Hi Kuroo, how are you! I missed you so much, I hope you had a good day."

Kuroo's only response was his cute smile and a thumbs up.

"That's good... um do you want to watch something?"

A nod.

"Ok, I'll turn it on, I assume u want discovery channel, like always."

Without further communication from either of them, Kuroo gestures to hold Kenma's hand and he complies. Ever since about a week ago, Kuroo has lost the ability to speak, well at least to speak comfortably. He could force out a few words here and there, but he never really was obligated to speak in Kenma's company. Kenma knew the situation well and had to try his best to make conversation, Kuroo knew he was trying and thought that was really sweet, though he never got to tell Kenma.

Without speaking any more, Kenma still held on to Kuroo's hand but his grip loosened. When Kuroo looked over, he saw Kenma, shaking and tears rolling down his face silently. He squeezed his hand and Kenma looked up.

"Don't worry about me Kuroo, I'm ok, just a long day nothing to worry about."

Kuroo knew it definitely wasn't ok, but he nodded reluctantly and held on to Kenma's hand a little tighter.

Kenma appreciated this comfort, but it didn't change the fact that without Kuroo, he would have nothing. Without Kuroo, what was left for Kenma? His whole life, Kuroo had been there for him, even when they weren't as close. Without Kuroo, he didn't even want to think about what he would do.