Chapter 21

Feb. 6, 2015 - Thank you all for making A Cartel Affair #1 in General Fiction

Photo to the side - UFC Fighter Abel Trujillo as Titus 

Carters P.O.V.

I walked out of the meeting as Darrell picked up where I left off. I knew he would reinforce what I had said. His fondness for Lea had become more apparent the longer she had been in the house and I knew her presence had him revisiting his time with Trish and the guilt of not being with her as she took her last breath.

My heart felt as if it had a chain around it and was pulling me into the deeper depths of hell that I had not yet visited. I needed Lea to come back home. I needed her in my arms and I needed to tell her I loved her.

I made my way to the gym and changed into my sweats, hoping to work out the pain filling my soul.

I went through my standard warm ups and had just laid back onto the bench press when I heard the familiar sound of the door opening.

"Boss?" Titus' voice sounded from door way.

"What?" I growled out as I focused on the weighted bar above me and brought it down to my chest.

"Darrell just dismissed everyone."

"And?" I pushed the bar back up.

"I haven't been able to train with a worthy opponent for a few days."

I knew what he was doing, he was offering himself to be my personal punching bag.

"And why is that my problem?" I ran a hand down my face as I sat up and looked my prize fighter over.

"I figured you'd might need to go a few rounds." Titus stayed in the doorway waiting for my acceptance of his offer. "It would benefit us both."

I sat still for a moment before nodding. "Don't expect to walk away unscathed."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

Titus smirked and disappeared into the locker room, exiting a few minutes later clad in nothing but his boxing shorts. As we made our way to the sparring ring, Titus glanced at me sideways.

"You really do love her."

I nodded once, unable to form a word.

"They'll bring her back Boss."

I didn't answer as I  took up my stance and watched as Titus followed my lead. I took in his size, his form, and the lightness he had as he bounced on the balls of his feet.

I knew from watching him go against Zander that he was quick. I remembered that his strength was in his legs, specifically his right one, and I recalled his weaknesses. They were subtle; a slight drop in his left fist as he threw a combo punch, a double step just before throwing a kick, a slight glance to let me know what part of the body he was targeting next.

A lesser opponent would not have noticed such minor weaknesses, but I wasn't a lesser opponent. 

I raised my eyes and looked deep into Titus', waiting for him to make the first move.

Titus circled once and stepped forward with his left leg, pivoting and bringing his right up leg up, executing a perfect sidekick. I ducked, sidestepped, and landed a knife hand to his ribs. Titus stumbled sideways before grinning and nodding in approval.

I ignored the sound of the door opening and feet shuffling into they gym as we continued to spar. I could hear faint murmurs and money shuffling hand as bets were placed. But I continued to focus on my opponent as we kicked, punched, and threw jabs for a good half hour. We were both bruised but neither of us was ready to throw in the towel.