Chapter 5

Chapter 5

When Peeta finishes his interview, all of us tributes hold hands, but I wonder how long will this friendliness last.

Peeta walks with Haymitch, and Cinna and Effie keep discussing my outfit. I walk a few steps behind them when I feel a hand grab my wrist and pull me back. It's Finnick.

"You're pregnant?" he sounds surprised to the point to where he seems angry.

I stare at him for a few seconds and then I turn to look around at the ceiling. Finnick notices what I'm doing and quickly says "There aren't any cameras here."

I sigh. "No. I'm not pregnant." I notice his muscles relax a little. "We made it up. Like your poem right? To try to stop the games?"

He frowns. "Yes." He says, stiffly.

"Why did you freak out?" I ask.

"Well, Katniss, obviously going into the arena while pregnant wouldn't be safe, would it? The poor baby would be in danger of you having a miscarriage."

For some reason, I don't believe he would be worried about the baby, if there was one. "Well, I'm not so..."

"Yeah, no that's uh... that's good. I guess." He says, rubbing the back of his head.

"I'm gonna go now. I wanna get out of this dress as soon as possible." I say.

"Okay." He seems to be struggling weather to tell me something or not.

"Bye, Finnick." I say as I turn around.

"Wait." He says.

I turn to look at him again.  

"Could you meet me at the training center around midnight?" And it's the first time I see Finnick Odair nervous.

"I... sure." I say, startled by his question.

"Thanks, I mean... good. See you at midnight." He says and walks away.

When I get to our living quarters everyone asks me where I had been. "Some tributes wanted to take a closer look at my dress." I lie.

Cinna helps me take the dress and the make-up off and we meet the other for dinner. Nobody makes much conversation while we eat because we all know that tomorrow we'll go into the arena and it's probably the last time they will see me and Peeta together, or at all.

After we finish eating Cinna and Portia leave and it's just me, Peeta, Haymitch and Effie.

Effie starts to sob and hands Haymitch a gold bracelet, and hands Peeta a gold locket. "To show them that we are a team." She says. "Katniss has her pin, and I have my hair." Which is gold and sparkly. She hugs us both goodbye and leaves.

"So this is goodbye, for now." Haymitch says.

"Thank you for everything." Says Peeta and hugs him.

When I hug him I whisper to make sure that only Haymitch hears. "Remember our deal. Peeta lives, not me."

He steps away from me and gives me a little nod. "Katniss... when you're in the arena, remember who the real enemy is." I'm a bit confused by this but I nod, and Peeta and I go to our bedrooms.

Before I realize it, Peeta is coming into my bedroom with me and I remember I'm supposed to meet Finnick at midnight.

"Hey, I was planning on watching the old Hunger Games tapes to see the other tributes' strategies. You should go and rest." I say.