Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I keep staring at the floor until we make it to the justice building. I can't believe I'm going back. The place of origin of my endless nightmares: The Hunger Games.

Last year I won the 74th edition, next to my district partner, Peeta Mellark. And now on the 75th edition we celebrate the third Quarter Quell, which means that the games will have a special twist. This year, the reaping will take place from the existing pool of victors. The only victors from District 12 are Haymitch (my mentor), Peeta (My friend and on-screen lover) and me.

I climb the stairs to take place next to the crystal reaping bowl, where Effie Trinket, our escort, awaits and gives me a sympathetic smile. I didn't like Effie much when I first met her, she was just another brainless Capitol citizen, but I've grown to understand her, and even like her.

I take my place next to the reaping bowl that contains only one piece of paper with my name on it. Katniss Everdeen. To my right, next to where Peeta and Haymitch are standing, is another bowl with two pieces of paper, with each of  their names. This year I've made it my goal to keep Peeta alive, no matter what it takes. I even spoke to Haymitch and he agreed to help me, either by volunteering to go in Peeta's place or by helping him outside of the arena, as our mentor getting sponsors. Me, well, my  job would be keeping him safe from 22 vicious victors who await to win again.

But of course, I don't believe for a second that this was how the 75th Hunger Games were supposed to happen. President Snow, the man who thinks I threatened the system by pulling out a handful of nightlock berries and managing to get them to let me and Peeta both live, had definitely something to do with it. He threatened to kill my family and friends if I didn't make the districts believe that my trick with the berries was out of desperation and love towards my district partner. As an attempt to make it more believable, Peeta and I pretended to get engaged during the victory tour. Peeta had no trouble doing it because he is very good with words and he is actually in love with me. I felt guilty for pretending to be in love with him but I think we have both moved on from that.

Right in the front row of District 12 citizens forced to come here and watch another pair of tributes be sent to the games I see my mother, my sister Prim, for whom I volunteered in last year's Hunger Games and my best friend and supposed cousin, Gale Hawthorne. Gale and I are not actually cousins but since Peeta and I are supposed to be lovers, the capitol decided that if I were to have any contact with another potential lover, he should be presented as my cousin instead. I don't know where Gale and I stand though, things have been confusing over the last few months, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore because I'm being sent back to the arena, and this time, I don't have hope of coming back.

After Effie calls my name I step forward, waiting to see who my fellow tribute will be. Effie pulls out the piece of paper with Haymitch's name on it but Peeta quickly volunteers because he wants to protect me in the arena, which is what I'll be doing for him.

We are dragged to the train station that will take us to the Capitol without giving us the chance to say goodbye to our families. But at this point, I'm not surprised at the Capitol's cruelty.

I spend most of the time in the train thinking about the districts. I found out that some people in District 8 were rebelling against the peacekeepers and some other districts were starting to do the same. And this year's Hunger Games were made to prove a point: As a remainder to the rebels that not even their strongest members (the Victors)  are rivals for the Capitol.

After dinner we watch the other districts' reapings to see who we are up against. Cashmere and Gloss, brother and sister from District 1. Brutus and a weird woman with fangs dipped in gold instead of teeth named Enobaria from District 2. Chaff and Seeder, who seem to be Haymitch's friends from District 11. Beetee and Wiress, from District 3. An old woman named Mags from District 4, and to be her partner is the breathtakingly handsome, Finnick Odair.

When we finish watching the reapings, Haymitch talks to me and Peeta about having to make allies.

"How can we make allies if we do not know, nor trust each other?" I ask him.

"You two, are new to the victors circle, sweetheart. Who do you think they'll kill first? Their old friends from years or the new comers?" he says.

I frown at his words and realize he's right, but still, Peeta has always been the more likeable one. At school he was always surrounded by friends. Me, on the other hand, like to be alone, and I don't trust people that easily.

"Fine." I say through gritted teeth.

One Haymitch leaves, Peeta pulls me aside by my sleeve.

"Hey, if you don't want to have allies it's fine with me. Once inside the arena Haymitch can't force us to join an alliance if we don't want to." He says with a sweet smile.

"Thank you." I say, and we both go to bed.

I'm glad Peeta is so understanding. After watching all of the people we're up against, I don't really think I could trust any of them. What does Haymitch expect me to do? Be allies with Finnick Odair? Yeah, right.

_____________________________________

Hope you enjoy ;) please share, vote and/or comment!!

Ally xx