A child is born

Fyumi's point of view

Moms at the hospital. Shes having another baby. I'm watching Natsou. Dad and Touya are.... in the other room. I want to go see the baby, but dad won't let us. Its a boy though. Grandma called us. Shes with mom at the hospital. His name is Shoto.

I hope he doesn't have a fire quirk. Or even worse, I hope he doesn't have both. Dad has forced us all through training, and torture, to develop our quirks early. I was 3 when it became apparent that I only had an Ice quirk. My brothers were both two. Natsou and I were lucky. Touya on the other hand, was not.

He has a fire quirk. I guess Dad, the number 2 hero Endeavor, figured he might as well train him until the child he wanted came. I don't want that to happen. I've tried my entire life to find a way to develop a fire quirk, so dad will just take me and leave Touya alone.

Touya is 4 years older than me, so he's been 'trained' by our father since before I was born. His arms are always bandaged and he is always covered in bruises. He won't tell Natsou and I what happens behind closed doors, but even as kids, we know.

I'm 7. Natsou is 3, almost 4. Now Shoto. Grandma says that the baby has little tuffs of red and white hair. Like me I guess. He might be the one dads looking for.

A few hours after grandma called, dad threw open the door down the hall. Training is over. Natsou and I cower behind the door as he pases us, not that he'd really care where we were. We just had ice quirks. We were useless from birth, he says.

The second he is beyond earshot I race to the training room. Touya is shaking in the middle of the floor. Silent tears roll down his face. Our father is a monster.

He is on his hands and knees over a puddle of his own vomit. His skin is peeling back and blood flows freely from his wrists, arms, and neck. His white hair is singed and it smells horrible.

His body wasn't made for his quirk. He was made for an ice quirk, like Natsou and I. But dads genes betrayed him. Every time Touya uses his quirk, he's killing himself. But our father -the so-called hero- couldn't care less.

Natsou and I quickly help him to his feet, propped between us, and we carry our half-conscious brother back to his room. His room is as big as Natsou's room and mine put together. We don't care of course, but dad always has picked favorites.

"Touya. You need to stay awake." I tell him as calmly as I can. Mom and grandma have taught me how to wrap up his bandages in case neither of them are there. He gets concussions all the time, so I also know he has to stay awake for a while too, or he might not wake up.

I can't control my quirk as well as a lot of people, but thanks to our father, I still have a firm grasp on it. I put my hand on Touyas burned arm. This might make the burns never go away, but the odds of his burns leaving are already slim. I activate my quirk and watch as a thin layer of frost covers his entire arm. It quickly melts but I do it again. And again. Then I do the other arm. Then his neck. I wrap his burns up again and the three of us hug for a bit.

We pull apart and he looks at the window. Theres bars on the outside. His room is the only one that has them. And his door locks from the outside. Its the only one that does that too.

"Boy or a girl?" He asks me. I realize he means the baby.

"Oh, uhh, a boy." I say. He is still looking out the window. Natsou is asleep, leaning on Touyas shoulder. They're so close...

"Whats his quirk?" He asks.

"We don't know, it'll take a while!" I try not to laugh. I just want to go out and play. Touya can be pretty depressing at times.

"We can guess. We always can guess." He says. I don't know how to respond so we sit in silence.

"One day, when we're all old enough, I'm leaving. And I'll take you all with me." He says. Hes crying again. I think its been long enough...

"One day, maybe one day. Get some rest." I whisper to him. I can't pick up Natsuo too well. So I leave them both to sleep.

They were asleep when father got home. He was carrying a blanket bundle. Mom wasn't here. He probably just took Shoto from her like he did with Natsou.

"Where is your brother?" His voice booms.

"Natsou is sleeping." I say to him.in my youngest sounding voice and with a giant grin. I know he means Touya. But any time I can keep him here can protect my brother.

"No. Where is Touya?" He demands. Fire bursts from him, and the baby starts to cry. He looks down at Shoto, as if shocked. Where did this come from? His face seemed to say.

"Look what you did!" He bellowed, and backhanded me. His huge arms are strong and I went flying. I stood up quickly so I wouldn't be kicked. Its been a while since then, bit old habits die hard.

He thrusts the baby into my arms and storms off, to find Touya no doubt. I can't stop him, so I take the baby to his designated room. I unwrap the blanket and look at my new brother.

His eyes don't match, and his hair is half red and half white. Hes the one. I just know it. With an Ice and Fire quirk. The reason the rest of us exist.

I have to protect him. I failed Touya. I need to protect Natsou and Shoto.

I hug him close as the roar of flames and my older brothers screaming echoes through the walls.

I have to protect him.