Chapter Ten

Nov 25, 2020

Chapter Ten

"So friends?" He asked.

"Friends." I nodded again and the whole world spun. I was friends with everyone now. Hawthorne and his twin.

~~~

It didn't take me long to sober up, maybe an hour or two. After I finished the rest of the delicious meal and swore I couldn't eat another bite; George surprised me with fresh cinnamon rolls and I devoured three. All the food and my enhanced werewolf genes made for quick absorption of the alcohol and I was back to my normal self. My cheeks twinged red with embarrassment when I thought of how I acted, but I shook it off. I really wasn't that bad, and surprisingly I thought us becoming friends might actually be a good idea. It was either that or continue to be a complete bitch to him. Which albeit fun, was exhausting.

Friends didn't keep their friends locked up and I was counting on that to ensure I would keep my freedom. I was curious to see how they lived here, so very different from my old pack. That's what life was all about after all; new experiences. As long as I was happy here, I would stay, but if things didn't pan out, or I missed my old life, no hard feelings right? We're just friends. At least that is how I hoped it would go.

Overall I was a bit confused and felt very wishy-washy. The wolf side of me warring with my human side. On one hand, I wanted nothing more than a pack and family to integrate with, and a mate to love, but I also knew that I loved my loft and not having any rules to follow or someone I'd have to check in with or ask permission from. Whatever I wanted I got for myself. Sure most of that was accomplished through thievery, but I was damn proud of how good I was. If I could break through your security, switch off all cameras and not leave a single fingerprint for detectives afterwards, I deserved whatever I stole. If I outsmarted you and in this eat or get eaten world- it just meant I deserved it more.

I still didn't know why I was caught by Hawthorne's henchmen at Mr. Holt's in the first place. The last three days had been an absolute shit show. Since I hated nothing more than boredom I suppose I should be grateful to them, not that I'd ever admit it to them. They kidnapped me, remember?

I picked at my nails, sitting alone in the suspiciously empty living room. Hawthorne left me here to sober up saying that he had to get work done in his office and I was distracting him. I huffed. Since when was singing Disney songs distracting? He should be grateful to hear my beautiful voice. He didn't agree with that either. When I argued with him, he told me that I sounded like a dog whistle and was liable to crack one of his windows.

I flipped through the channels on his big screen TV but couldn't figure out how to get the sound working so I turned it off again. Why were there so many remotes? When I looked at the clock again an hour later I realized only ten minutes had passed.

I pouted. Didn't you hear me say I hated being bored? If my new friend was too busy for me, I'd just have to go make more.

I stretched and padded over to the front door. I wasn't sure what happened to my shoes but it was warm enough today to go barefoot. The snow had all melted by now and spring was fast approaching. I bit the inside of my cheek, best not to think about that now.

"What are you doing?" I startled at his voice and let go of the doorknob. I'm surprised he was able to sneak up on me. His scent and presence were always so overwhelmingly present whenever he came close.

"Out."

"Out?"

"Yup. You know, that place behind the door where the world lies."