Oh, To Communicate With People Who Don't Like You

You woke up just a couple hours before you would arrive home. The ride home was rather peaceful; nothing noteworthy happened as you were sleeping, as much as you were aware. The only thing you were concerned about was that your butt ached, from sitting in the carriage. It didn't have the best seats, you had to admit. While it was very good compared to some other ones, car chairs were definitely 1000% better, really.

When you arrived home, you were still kind of tired. Well, it was only natural, as you slept in the carriage for only a few hours. So, you went back to your room and took a nap, and you awoke in the evening.  It was just about time for dinner, and the chef had prepared (favorite food) for you, which you thoroughly enjoyed. It was a pretty calm day, and it was nice to have.

You spent the rest of the days studying and enjoying your time, doing some of both. There was definitely stuff you could touch up on better, but you didn't want to spend your time cramming again. Ya gotta live while you're young, y'know? Work hard, play hard, that kind of thing. It's important to do both, your parents would always say.

A few days after you arrived back home, you received a letter telling you that the results will be announced in a few days at the palace. So, a few days later, you went to the palace to receive your results.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

When you arrived at the palace, you were led to a small room with exactly enough chairs for all the candidates. You were told to sit at whichever chair you wished, so you sat in the back as to not gather attention. Most of them were already there, though by all means you weren't late at all. People always liked being early, but everyone really had to be so early, huh. Many of them had small talk between themselves while waiting, but you stared out the window, watching the workers below. 

Lots of interesting things happened within the workers. That was probably why gossip was so common among them. Or perhaps that was just a general hobby, you didn't know. You saw a garden worker cut his fingers on a shear, a young boy who probably was just hired. You wondered why such people were hired; wouldn't the royal family have only the best workers to maintain their property? Around the same time, a maid rushed through the diameter of the garden, seemingly in a big rush. You had no idea what that was for; she wasn't holding anything to hint at it. That would be a topic of gossip among them, for sure.

"I apologize for my lateness. Please excuse me," someone said as they entered the room. You looked towards the door, and you found Langelica there. It was very unlike her to be late; she was usually quite early to any sort of meeting or party. 
"Langelica, may I inquire as to why you are late?" her highness asked.
"Your majesty, a fight had broken out between two of the guards by the gate; I could not stand there and watch. I had them both disciplined and they would not cause such a ruckus again. They are both in the infirmary for the day and are being taken care of. The incident has been closed," she answered. She literally had to make that more dramatic, huh.  

"You are excused," her majesty said, as she turned to face all the girls gathered in the room. "You have been called here today to discuss the results of the first stage. The top three scores have been given to: Langelica-" There was a round of applause for her, very expected. "Daphne," there was another round of applause, and she curtsied for the crowd. "and Amalia." There was a last round of applause for Amalia, and the excitement died down within seconds- or perhaps the "excitement" was all fake. 

Her majesty continued, "The people I am about to list are those who have passed." All the girls listened intently, hoping to hear their names. "Asimina, Ismene, Melissa, Faye, and..." All the remaining girls looked at each other, as if saying, "It better not be your name that she calls next." 

"(y/n)." 

Everyone but her highness was surprised. You could practically read their minds; it was so obvious. Some had the (y/n)?! I thought she was planning to flunk the test on purpose. I thought she didn't care for the throne? What's the change of heart? face, others had the The rumors... they must've been true. But why would (y/n) ever just start trying now? Isn't that strange? look.