Chapter Ten

Song of the Chapter - Float by The Neighbourhood

VALERIE

I hate Mondays more than anything else in this world. Not only is the weekend over, but I have to face Shawn at work after what happened to us during the weekend. So many emotions were floating around us that after he left on Saturday, I slept for the rest of the day and woke up late Sunday afternoon. I've been a mess, if you couldn't tell.

Connor drove me to work since I was way too tired to drive myself, and due to the fact that I was late for Shawn and Scott's session today. God knows how mad they're going to be at me for showing up late.

As I go to our studio for the day, I couldn't help but feel like everything's going to be different. Don't get me wrong, things have been different ever since I moved out, but now that we're kind of on the same page for the first time ever, I'm hoping that things are better and don't go to shit again.

I walk up to the heavy studio door and slightly push it open when I suddenly hear a conversation between Shawn and Scott. I can't help but stop so that I could hear what they're saying cause I know for sure that Shawn won't tell me anything anymore.

"Where did this come from?" Scott asked. Where did what come from?

"I don't know, man. I just got this random burst of inspiration and ran home to write it all down," Shawn explained, and I grew to be even more confused.

"These lyrics are deep. What even caused you to have such a raw scenario?"

"If I'm being honest," he started and paused for a second. "I finally accepted that I've fallen in love with her."

What? What. He doesn't mean me right? He can't mean me. For a second, my vision goes blurry and I think I might pass out, but I catch my balance before I cause a scene. No. Fucking. Way. I gave that signal to Shawn on Saturday to show him that I do have feelings for him, but I didn't know he was on the verge of loving me. He's moving faster than I thought, and of course, I probably pushed him deeper. I wish we were on the same level, but there's still that slight attraction to Connor in me, so I feel quite iffy about Shawn.

Just for a moment, I can't help but get butterflies in my stomach. Shawn loves me. I smile at the thought of him caring so much about me that the first lyrics he wrote in months was about me. I need to read them. Does he mention how we met? Or what he feels like? He wrote a few lyrics, yet I'm dying to read them.

I gain the strength to stop eavesdropping, and head into the studio. Shawn instantly silences himself as I show up, and his skin goes pale.

"Hey, Val. How was the rest of your weekend?" he asked me, trying his best to cover his previous conversation up.

"Fine. Kinda boring," I say uneasily, and sit on the couch. "Hey, Scott."

"You ready to write today?" he questioned, and I nodded. "Good. I think Shawn and I are going to plan a lot of the album sonically for the next couple of hours, so feel free to jump in if you want."

I gave him a soft smile, trying not to melt over the same thought of Shawn that was glued into my mind. Every part of me wanted to spill right there that I knew what he said, but I couldn't do it. Not with Scott in the room, at least. Don't leave, Scott. But, I want to tell Shawn.

The session goes smoothly, and I barely write any lyrics. I'm too focused on Shawn who's staring at me intensely the entire time. I'm not annoyed or anything, I'm just terrified knowing that he loves me. Loving someone is a huge commitment, and it's insane to think that he's already devoting that part of his heart to me after 2 weeks of knowing each other.