178: The Downward Spiral

"Because I'm always going to think of you as Mira Jung Floare-Ruiz."

Kai's voice did just have a way of sticking with MJ.

"Talented witch, siphoner, person."

A description she actually liked, given the word at the end of it.

"And when you accept yourself, you'll have forgiven me without even realising it."

Mira Jung Floare-Ruiz.

No loopback tying her to anybody but herself.

After Damon had left the tomb, he'd led them back to the Salvatore House, taking a phone call in the kitchen while Kai and MJ loitered in the library. She'd stabbed Tyler that morning because of a nightmare about Kai.

She'd had nightmares about Klaus before too –

No.

Bad MJ.

Tyler had literally been bleeding out, and she hadn't even realised it was real because of Kai – Klaus had just sent her through a hair dye binge to counteract the stress of his constant texts.

He was standing in the doorway, eavesdropping on the call while MJ poured them all a drink, not interested in whatever was plaguing the Mystic Falls gang that day. If she knew about it, she'd end up involved, which would mean delaying her return to New Orleans more than she already had.

"Whew, yeah," Kai quickly walked back into the library as Damon returned, "Why tell your brother your mother's still alive?"

So, Damon had been talking to Stefan.

"But I guess I get it," He really did just keep talking, "Mum's in a prison world, therefore an evil psychopath. Don't want to ruin little bro's perfect-mummy memory."

"I'll tell him as soon as I know the truth."

"Truth..." Kai muttered, taking a comfortable seat on the couch.

"Which is why you're still here. Your sister sent Elena and me back to 1994. You can send me back to 1903."

"Technically, yes, I can do that," Kol nodded, "But, I'll need the Ascendant for the 1903 Prison World."

"Oh. As the newly elected president of the Gemini freaks, I assume you know where to get it."

Kai shrugged innocently.

"So? Get it."

"It'll be my pleasure," He took a slurping sip of the drink.

Damon took the hint, "You want something."

MJ sat cross-legged on the coffee table to analyse the situation.

There was no way in hell they were about to just hand something over to Kai or do him a favour.

Not unless he was going to leave them alone for the rest of time.

"Shocker," Damon took a seat opposite him, "All right."

"Well," Kai lent forward, "Ever since you told me Bonnie was back, I, uh, I can't stop thinking about her."

MJ didn't like that start.

"What I did...how she is," He sighed in frustration, "It's really annoying."

She snorted.

"I need to see her," He explained, "I need to apologise. And you're gonna make that happen."

"No," MJ decided, "No chance."

He frowned.

"Bonnie doesn't wanna see you, and she definitely won't forgive you."