Tea Time

May 25, 1878

I awoke to the sound of loud knocking on my door. I jumped up to a sitting position.
Sophie walked in with Jem and Will behind her.
"This is outrageous!" Will yelled. It was too early for the brain to process anything. Jem rubbed his temples in frustration.
"Master Will and Master Jem, you must leave!" Sophie yell back, "You have invited yourselves into Miss Branwell's room! Invading her privacy!" Will and Jem cocked their heads to face me. I felt my cheeks go red.
"I sincerely apologize Clara," Jem apologized, "We'll leave." Jem grabbed Will's arm and dragged him out of the room.
I buried my hands in embarrassment.
"Those men have minds of their own. Waking into a lady's bedroom unannounced." Sophie said.
"Sophie, what is happening?" I asked, looking up to face her.
She sighed, "Gabriel Lightwood is here in the lobby. He asks to see you."
"What time is it?"
"11 o'clock." Eleven?! Why was Gabriel asking to see me? "I'll help you get ready." Sophie said. She pulled me out of the bed. She already had my corset and a dress pulled out of my closet for me to. She helped me tighten my corset and slip into my dress. She quickly curled and pin my hair. I was wearing an emerald green dress, that complimented my eyes and hair. Sophie led me to the lobby, where Gabriel Lightwood stood making conversation with Henry. Gabriel smiles when he saw me approach.
"Good morning Miss Clara," Henry said, "I'm afraid you missed breakfast this morning. You were still asleep and we didn't want to disturb you."
"Well thank you Henry. Good morning to you too. Good morning Mr. Lightwood." I said turning to greet Gabriel.
"Good morning Miss Branwell."
"Would you too like to talk in the parlor?" Sophie announced.
"That would be lovely." I said. I waved goodbye to Henry. Sophie led us to the parlor. We sat in chair across from one another. Sophie came in moments later with a pot of tea and two tea cups.
"I apologize for my rude unannounced visit. I just had to see you again." Gabriel said once Sophie had left.
I smiled, "You don't have to apologize. It's good to see you again." I admitted.
"Did you have a pleasant time last night?"
"I did. It didn't go how I hoped it would but it was still pleasant." Gabriel poured me a cup of tea and handed it to me. I place a box of sugar in it and stirred.
"What you do mean?" Gabriel asked, his eyebrows fused together.
"Well... I met you." He blushed. I took a sip of my tea.
"Is there any chance I could see you more often?" He asked.
I grinned, "I'm sure we could arrange something." We shared a smile.

Gabriel and I chatted for about an hour before he stated he needed to leave. We said our goodbyes. I still hang around the parlor, sipping my tea. I took in the silence the few moments of silence. Although I had just spent a wonderful morning with Gabriel, my mind kept replaying myself dancing with Will, and the words Sophie had said late last night. Why couldn't I fall for Will? Why would I fall for Will. The door of the parlor burst open and Will-speak of the devil- was standing in the doorway. His face was flushed with anger.
"Good day to you too Will." I said through a grin.
"Why the bloody hell was Gabriel Lightwood here?" He shouted.
"I don't see why that's your problem? We just had tea." I said calmly.
"You invited him here?" He continued to shout.
"No. I didn't. He just showed up. What a pleasant surprise, isn't it?"
"No! Gabriel Lightwood showed up here unannounced!"
"You keep yapping about it and I have yet to see how it is your problem." My voice started to raise with anger. Will walked closer to me. He was only a few feet away now.
"I demand that you- "
I shot up from my chair, "You will demand nothing of me Mr. Herondale!" I yelled. My cheeks were flushed and we were standing face to face. His face completely fell has he stared down at me. Charlotte and Sophie came bursting in to see where all the yelling was coming from.
"What is happening in here?!" Charlotte demanded, "Clara, Will? Would you like to explain?" I kept eye contact with Will.
"No,"I said pushing past Will and walked out the door and towards my room. Once I was in the solitude of my room, I threw myself on the bed. I laid there, thinking.

A few hours had past and I wasn't letting anyone in. Charlotte and Sophie had knocked several times, but I refused to let them in. It had been an hour since they tried to come in, when I heard a knock on my again. I heard the familiar voice of Jem. He asked to come in. This time, I let me. I was sitting in a chair, facing the fire place. I heard his footsteps walk up behind.
"I heard your argument with Will this morning," He said.
I groaned, "It was terrible. And I acted like a child, running out like that. I've been embarrassed to face Charlotte and Sophie. I behaved so poorly. I feel foolish."
"Will acted poorly too. He feels terrible. He didn't come to dinner this evening."
"I feel stupid Jem." Jem knelt down beside me and looked me in my eyes.
"Don't be. It was Will who was foolish," He smiled. His smile was comforting, "I'll be leaving now. I'm heading off to bed," Jem stated. He got up and left the room. My mind started to drift off to the ball again. Dancing with Will. That night was magical in so many ways.

I woke up hours later, still sitting in my chair. The fire had died out. I was starving. I hadn't eaten anything all day. I arose from my chair and left my room. The hallways were pitch black and it took a minute for my eyes to adjust. I walked to the kitchen. I stole a few scones then decided to walk to the library. I noticed that there was light coming from the library. I opened the door. I didn't see anybody in there at first. Then I saw him. He was sitting in a chair near the fire place, reading. I was debating whether or not I should leave.
"Would Charlotte kill me if she found out I was eating in here?" Will's head shot up, looking around for where the voice came from. He then met eyes with me.
"Not unless she found out." He said. His face was expressionless.
"Promise you won't tell her." I walked over and sat in the chair beside him. I could tell he was staring.
"What are you doing awake?" He asked.
I shrugged, "I was hungry," I turned and looked at him, "What are you doing up?"
"I couldn't sleep." He continued to stare. I could tell in his eyes that he was bothered by something, "I'm sorry for my behavior this morning." He said. He looked down at his hands.
"I'm sorry too." I apologized. We sat in silence for a few seconds, "What are you reading?" I gestured to the book in his hands.
"The Tale of Two Cities." He replied.
"I've never read it. I've heard it's very good."
He nodded.
We talked for a few hours. And I'll admit, it was the best conversation I've had... ever. I told him all about my father's death. What it was like to live with my parents. I told him about my desire to become a Shadowhunter. He told me about Wales-his home country. He told me about how he ran away to the Institute to become a Shadowhunter.
"We should probably go to bed," I suggested. We walked to our rooms together. We had goodnight. I had to take off my corset and dress by myself. It was a challenge. I slipped into my nightgown and crawled into bed. Slowly drifting off...