Chapter 10

Warm water bubbled up around him causing him to stir from his sleep. He started regaining feeling in his limbs which was odd suddenly feeling tingling all over his body. Taking a deep breath he opened his eyes, the warm water stinging. His surroundings, blurry, and hard to make out. Seeing blurry figures of people moving around holding things confused him. He didn't know where he was or why.

About to close his eyes again he noticed a figure stopped in front of the glass. He blinked and there were more figures. His head began to hurt causing him to close his eyes. When he opened his eyes again the water was draining making him put weight on his legs. He wobbled before collapsing in a heap. He now heard beeps and other sounds he didn't recognize. Looking up he saw the men moving closer as the glass rose off the floor.

"It worked," one of the men mused as he was lifted off the ground by his arms. He looked at the man weakly, taking in the man's aging features and graying hair. What had worked, he didn't understand. The man gave some type of signal and the men holding him dragged him away. He glanced around as he was dragged taking in his surroundings. Nothing looked familiar to him. He closed his eyes groaning, last he remembered was watching the evening stars after putting his daughter Maggie to bed. The memory seemed so recent yet for some reason, it felt much longer ago as well.

Opening his eyes once he wasn't being dragged, he was harshly tossed onto a bed before the chains on his arms were locked down. Trying to speak he found out he had some sort of muzzle on his face. Once the chains were secure the men left him be.

*Crackle* was walking around the empty back streets of the small impoverished town. He was heading away from a friend's storage room. Paolo needed the money more than he did so the family wouldn't be starving. *Crackle* smiled to himself as he looked at the partly cloudy blue sky.

"Hey!" Someone called after him. *Crackle* paused and looked over his shoulder in question. Two teens walked up to him, one was blond, the other had pink hair.

"Huh?" *Crackle* asked, turning to face the two.

"You dropped your wallet back there in Paolo's storage room," the blond said holding up the small leather pouch.

*Crackle* smiled sheepishly. "Ah, well I dropped it on purpose. Didn't want to see Paolo and his family starve."

The blond smiled lightly. "You don't have to worry about Paolo. We dropped food inside his storage room."

*Crackle* started laughing, smiling. "You too?"

The blond smiled brightly. "Seems so."

"I'm *crackle*, I'm here visiting my aunt."

"I've heard of the *crackle* family. This is my friend G. My name is Giotto."

"It's nice to meet you, Giotto," *Crackle* said as they shook hands.

"Likewise *Crackle*." Giotto smiled.

*Crackle* relaxed. "Hate you run but I should get back to my aunt's place."

G nodded. "That's understandable, we should be heading home ourselves."

*Crackle* nodded before leaving with a wave.

*Crackle* met up with Giotto and G several more times to help either with schemes to steal from the nobles and radicals or to help a family. *Crackle* enjoyed his time with the two. Everything seemed to be going their way until one rainy day.

*Crackle* knelt down by the rain-soaked body of a friend. He checked for a puls as the man's two children tried to wake their father crying. Giotto ran up stopping next to G.

"How is he, *Crackle*?" Giotto asked worriedly. *Crackle* looked down shaking his head, before pulling the two little kids close.

"The doctor never came," G sighed looking sad.

"Damn it!" Giotto shook. "All this town is a money mill for the noble and radicals... No matter what we do nothing changes. This is my home despite living in poverty, everyone's smiling faces and kind nature..."

G and *Crackle* listened to their friend rant.

"I refuse to sit by and let them take everything away!" Giotto exclaimed.

"We could do something. However, the only one who could run the group of Vigilantes is you, Giotto." *Crackle* states looking at the blond.

"A vigilante group?" Giotto asked before thinking.

"If no one else will protect the town why don't we?" *Crackle* shrugged.

"Well, it's not that much different than what we are already doing. Just on a bigger scale." G said after a moment.

Giotto nodded. "Alright... I think I can get a few favors answered."

*Crackle* smiled. "I'm more than happy to help when I'm in town."

Giotto nodded smiling. "Alright."

"So what are we going to call the group?" G asked.

Giotto and C*crackle* look at each other smiling. "Vongola."

"Clam?" G raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Think about it G. A clam has a hard shell that is difficult to get into." Giotto started.

"And if you let a clam clamp down on your finger it not only hurts but it's also difficult to free it." C*crackle* continued.

G nodded. "Alright, I got it. Vongola it is."

He looked up from the stone floor, squinting through the sunlight that showed through the barred window. He had heard a door open from somewhere in the darkroom. Pulling at the chains keeping his hands on either side of his head he searched the darkness.

Someone chuckled moving around. His red eyes seemed to follow the noise in front of him. He remembered now, he wasn't supposed to be here. Whoever had hit his head had kidnapped him from his family.

"Welcome to the future. Cozart Shimon." The voice mused. "You'll make a lovely puppet to take down those two families."