9 - Insight

--Percy Jackson--

--Percy Jackson--

As Percy inhaled the obnoxiously sweet scent of strawberries, he made a mental note to bring one of those yellow hazmat suits whenever he had to travel through the camp car. When he first heard of the camp car, he was excited and expecting something cool like an Impala. What he did not expect was the Ford Pinto. Even as he was sitting inside it, he tried to keep his head low to not let the people on the road see him.

It was decided that the camp van was a bit too big to be used inconspicuously and so their replacement was this chunky car, whose engine had been modified so as not to combust. The number of questions Percy had gotten, like why not any other car in existence, was greater than the number of children Zeus had sired so he held his tongue. But that wasn't the worst part of the trip sadly. The seats of the car had leather covers and it seemed to be used for transport a few times as well, as it had a strawberry scent lingering inside. But the leather was not normal as even though it was pretty comfortable, the smell it produced made him want to cut off his head and the strawberry wasn't helping. And he was pretty sure he would have to drown his clothes in detergent to get rid of the pungent smell. He would burn them if they hadn't been a gift from his mom.

He tried to calm his nausea by opening all the windows and trying to pretend he was on the beach, in his element. He hoped that where they were going, they would find some helpful insight and not just another stinky, rhyming, and a cryptic pile of minotaur poop that would ruin his day even more. Thankfully, it was just him and Annabeth in the car, or else his claustrophobia would get worse too. Piper and Leo, who were originally planning to come along, decided to stay back with the other councillors to make sure there isn't any chaos among the campers, and Nico and Will had vanished to gods' know where. It was mostly for the better because after that fiasco of the pegasus and then them appearing in the middle of camp out of nowhere, if they went out again, it would raise some eyebrows and the last thing they needed was rumours spreading around and causing chaos.

As the car stopped again at a red light, Percy's eyes wandered towards a strawberry charm hanging on the rearview mirror. It would have been cute if not for its eyebrows being erased and the eyes looking demonic without them. And the eye on argus's forehead staring at him through the mirror didn't help, even if Percy knew that he meant well and was just making sure they are alright. Getting more creeped out the longer he stared at the strawberry, he started looking around the car trying to find something that wouldn't make him want to jump out his window.

A smile crept on his face as he saw through the broken glove compartment door that there were various little dropper bottles inside with eyes on them indicating they were most likely eye drops. Percy grinned as the thought of Argus trying to put eye drops on his back popped into his mind. Annabeth elbowed him, raising her eyebrow questioningly, but he just shook his head in answer. Once more looking out the window, he noticed that they were already at their destination.