7 - Arcane Encounter

--Leo Valdez--

--Leo Valdez--

If Leo closed his eyes, he could almost imagine that he was riding Festus and heading to free Hera along with two of his best friends with dirt face harassing them at every step. The air blowing in his face and messing up his hair, the chilly atmosphere, the view from high in the sky, the feeling of flying. It took him by surprise that he was actually feeling nostalgic for that time but he would be lying if he said that he wouldn't go back to that time when they were on the quest. Sure, Gaia was gone and everything was great but there was something about that feeling he got back then, that thrill that one could only get when there was a threat looming behind their backs, that adrenaline and excitement. It had definitely sucked but he missed it, however messed up it was.

The fates must've been listening to him today because as soon as he opened his eyes, he saw bright red wings flapping in front of his face. Startled, he jumped back, making Dover, the white pegasus he was riding, snort in annoyance. Leo even managed to annoy a pegasus. He could bet no one else could ever say they have this achievement in their arsenal. Sadly, this didn't intimidate the harpy as she swung with her claws at Leo again making him duck and take out his hammer.

As he swung his hammer at, he shouted to his friends scattered around him, "Guys, we have a poultry assault!"

He couldn't see what his friends were doing around him as a few more red and orange chickens joined the original one, forming a big, red cloud of feathers around Leo. He thought about using fire but decided not to as Dover and his friends around him could get hurt in this close range especially with the wind blowing.

So, he went with the next best option, which was to keep swinging his hammer at their heads. He managed to hit a harpy and it turned to golden dust coating him, then the thought of Ella popped up in his head and he immediately felt bad. But the harpies scratched at him again removing all his guilt as he got another one.

He soon managed to hit two more and only one was left. As it realized that all its teammates were gone she flew away from Leo and teamed up with the other harpies attacking his friends. He looked where it flew and saw it joining the flock surrounding Percy. He asked Dover to fly towards him.

He flew directly in front of Percy, attacking the chicken birds from behind. They both quickly got through the herd and when Leo looked at Percy, he almost fell off the winged white stallion because of what he saw.

There was Percy, sitting on his steed, as he swung with Riptide at a bird! Oh, he was never going to hear the end of this! "Dude, did you just slash an actual bird?"

Percy looked at him, like a deer in headlights "I- uhh- Well it's not my fault! The harpies were looking like birds as well so I thought that it was a harpy too!"

Leo figured that would be the reason. Due to the mist, the harpies were flickering between fierce chicken ladies and gray harmless pigeons. But that didn't matter to Leo. The main thing was that "You murdered a poor harmless bird! You bird-killer! Bye-bye birdie, rest in peace" Leo said, exaggerating and acting furious.