i'll wait for you

"kageyama's?" you shouted through the call, making the blonde roll his eyes, "what do you mean these are kageyama's? but he lives in miyagi... what?"

"dumbass. yes, they're kageyama's. he texted me about a week ago saying he's going to deliver something to you from miyagi," kenma said, eyes still on his pc, "i just had to put them all in the backpack."

"so you're saying..."

"that's kageyama's scent you're wearing," he stated, slightly chuckling, "sorry i didn't tell you. i made it a surprise because i like seeing you all shocked."

you rolled your eyes at kenma's words. you didn't say anything and just focused on the game that you two were playing. him on his pc and you on your device.

"OH SHIT USHIJIMA," kenma screamed out of nowhere.

you furrowed your eyebrows, "ushijima...?"

"NO. USHIJIMA FOUND ME. RUN! I'M GONNA DIE!" he threw his headphones off his head, covering his face with his hand, "damn it."

it was a funny sight to see really. the dark hallway and then the ace from karasuno's neighboring school was chasing kenma's roblox character. you laughed hysterically at the annoyed male on the call.

"don't say a word," kenma took his phone and brought it to his face, "just go call him and say thank you."

"i'll call him later," you said.

"alright, alright. i'm bored. you should come over." kenma spoke through the phone, "my parents aren't home, so you can come over if you'd like."

"what are you suggesting, huh?"

"shut up."

once gaining the permission of your parents, you hurriedly speed-walked to kenma's house. you rung the doorbell a couple of times just to annoy him.

you could hear a: "alright alright! i get it! i'm getting the door! jeez y/n!" from the other side of the front door, making you chuckle.

the blonde opened the door and moved to the side to let you in, "nice hoodie," kenma teased you.

"thanks," you said sarcastically before both of you walked upstairs to his bedroom. his pc was up and running as he made his way to play roblox again, "still playing escape shiratorizawa?"

"yep, it's scary. but funny," the setter laughed to himself as he was getting situated with all of his gaming stuff, "when are you calling kageyama-kun? you better say thank you," kenma told you.

"okay fine. i'll facetime him right now. just be quiet."

"that won't be a problem."

you rolled your eyes and smiled, pressing the phone icon on kageyama's contact.

📞 facetiming kageyama...

the phone rung for a couple of seconds before he finally picked up.

the boy answered, sweat running down his forehead, "hey y/n. and what made you call me?" kageyama panted, "sorry i was in the middle of a run. how are you?"

"hi kageyama!" you smiled while you got your phone situated in your hand, "and i'm fine. you?"

"i'm okay. you're over tsukishima, right?"

"i guess so," you chuckled.

"okay," kageyama said flatly, making you laugh.

"yeah~ i just wanted to say thank you. for everything. and for backing me up even though we just became friends," you started talking, "i was really stupid. if it weren't for you and the team, i might still be stuck in a toxic relationship with him. so, thank you. i saw the red flags because of you," you concluded shyly.

"o-oh," he didn't talk for a good second. "you're welcome."

"HE'S BLUSHING, Y/N!" kenma yelled since he couldn't hear properly through his headphones, "YOU MADE HIM BLUSH!"

"who was that?" kageyama knitted his eyebrows together through the phone, "i swore i heard someone yelling."

"KENMA! SHUT UP!" you yelled at the blonde, "sorry about that. he's playing some weird game about ushijima-san," you suddenly widened your eyes, "oh uh. right... anyway! i got your hoodies, see!" you showed him the hoodies with the back camera facing your mirror, "nice cologne. it smells so good."

the setter smiled and rolled his eyes, "nice hoodie." you could see that he was sitting on a nearby bench, "so... you probably know how i feel about you already. or were the hoodies not a big enough gesture?" he asked while laughing.

you smiled, "yes, i guess i do know how you feel about me," you awkwardly chuckled.

"and...?" he urged you to say something, "just know that i understand whatever you're going to tell me, by the way." kageyama said, earning a nod from you.

to be honest, kageyama was sweet. but you were not ready for a relationship. not for a while, at least. he's a good friend, but for now, while you're healing, that's all he can be. as sucky it may seem to others, but you can't give someone your heart that's been broken by another and you're still trying to mend it back together.

"well, to be honest... i guess i'm not ready yet." you simply said, "i mean i did just get out of a relationship."

"we can be friends," kageyama smiled through the phone with clueless sincerity, "or you know, i'll wait."

you widened your eyes, you muted yourself and turned off the camera. you then closed your eyes and start slapping kenma's bedsheets out of excitement. it was a simple sentence but it made you blush nonetheless.

"and you said to stop screaming," the setter rolled his eyes from the chair, "shut up, i'm trying to play."

you quickly unmuted and turned on your camera.

the boy rolled his eyes while smiling slightly again, "idiot. so what now?"

"i guess you'll have to wait!" you grinned, teeth showing.

he grinned as well, "well, you're not a bad thing to be waiting for."