chapter 4

The following week I get a phone call at work from the hospital. My mom tripped over a seam on the floor and fell, which caused a hairline fracture to her hip. I leave work immediately to see her and find her flirting with a nurse. Well, at least she's in good spirits. I try not to roll my eyes.

"Mama," I whisper. Why does everyone always look like such shit in the hospital?

"Hey, baby! I'm gonna be fine. Just gotta take it easy, rest, and take more pain pills. They gave me morphine!!" Ah, she's high.

I try to laugh but end up crying instead. There is cancer on her bones, causing them to be more brittle, I guess. Fractures could become more common. So her parting gift will be a bone-strengthening medication to add to the pile.

I get in the bed with her, she lets me cuddle her, and we cry together.

"Are you hungry, mama?"

"No, baby. But you should eat and go home." Please, I'll be fine. I'll see you tomorrow. I'm in good hands."

There's no use in arguing, so I get a falafel wrap on my way home. I exchange my work clothes for pajamas, and while eating on the couch, I text Felix.

Helene:
What's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?

Felix:
I really want to say something dirty about you... but I know that wasn't your intention

Helene:
No but thanks for making me smile

Felix:
Hard day?

Helene:
Like you can't believe
Soo... Answer the question!

Felix:
Well shit, I'm just gonna say you

Helene:
Okay you big flirt... what else? I need the distraction

Not long after I see he's read the message, I get a FaceTime call. I know I look like utter shit... There is no way I'm answering. I decline it and go to the bathroom to see the damage. Maybe if I wash my face and brush my teeth, I'll feel a little more normal. So I do, and when I go back to look at my phone, I have another text.

Felix:
Please pick up. I just want to see you

Helene:
Why?

I know I'm being an ass, but who am I to him anyways?

Felix:
I'd put money on not believing me if I told the truth... So I'll share the crude version... because not only do I like talking to you, but I like fucking you. And I hope when I'm in town this weekend, we can do some more of that

My brain immediately floods with thoughts of having sex with him. So when I don't respond, because I really didn't know how to... he tries FaceTime again. I accept this time.

"Hi."

"Hi. I can see that you've had a rough day, but you still look beautiful."

"Can you make me feel good?" I mumble.

His eyes widen as if he's not sure he heard me right. "Right now?"

"Please." I nod.

I watch him as he goes to lock the door to his room. I wonder if he stays in the same room while working on this yacht. I see him settle into his bed and notice for the first time he's only wearing boxer briefs. God, he's hot. His body is perfection... lean and muscular, painted with tattoos.