To the Future

For a moment the two ninja stared each other down, one was a Lin Kuei Warrior. One was a Ninja Specter. One was clad in blue. One was clad in yellow. One was alive. One was dead. One had no emotions. One only had the emotion of rage. One was Sub-Zero. One was Scorpion.

Sub-Zero had come to the island to assassinated Shang Tsung, but apparently he would not have the opportunity to defeat him, however he hoped that perhaps Tsung still lived, if he had time he would go to Tsung's palace and perform the deed. But now with the specter ready to attack, Sub-Zero would have to stand his ground.

He was born to a Chinese father and an American mother along with his younger brother and sister. His father took the boys back with him to China to become Lin Kuei assassins while the mother and girl would remain behind in America. He never saw his mother or his sister again, he learned to be an assassin, he was stripped of all compassion, he would mercilessly kill anyone for his clan. He even ignored the warning that there was evil in his soul out of loyalty for his clan. Everything he did was for his clan.

Scorpion did not come for the glory of being the Mortal Kombat champion nor for fame, nor fortune. He came for revenge against one man, he had no interest in anyone else except Sub-Zero. After he was murdered in cold blood, Scorpion's soul descended in the Netherrealm and when he awoke he was in the body of a ninja specter granted to him by the Elder God Shinnok and the sorcerer Quan Chi. Why, he did not know. Everything Scorpion ever did was for the well being of his wife and child and this coward, this assassin had not only killed him in cold blood, but had eradicated his entire being and dishonorably massacred his entire clan.

Scorpion was given the chance to avenge himself, but should he fail he would lose his undead body and be forced to wander the depths of the Netherrealm as a damned soul with no way out.

For now Scorpion and Sub-Zero stared at each other as they silently prepared to attack.

"Scorpion, as I told you in the Netherrealm, I did not kill your family."

"You lie." Scorpion hissed. "It wasn't enough for you to kill me, you had to kill those I cherished in life and now I can never be with them again. My wife and child will live peacefully up in the Heavens, while I am forced to be tormented forever in Hell and it is because of your sadistic pleasure."

"Scorpion, your blood may be on my hands, but of your family's death, I am innocent. Your clan was not massacred by the Lin Kuei, we had no involvement in the attack on your clan…."

"Shut up!" Scorpion yelled. "You have no honor, Lin Kuei. No honor!"

"Honor? What honor do you possess?" Sub-Zero retaliated. "You were like me weren't you? You may deny it Scorpion, but you and I are exactly alike."

"No!" Scorpion yelled. "You are wrong! I'm nothing like you!"

"If you say so." Sub-Zero smiled. "As you said to me on that night two years ago… You will fail!"

With a final cold stare, Scorpion and Sub-Zero charged at each other as the first piece of the island broke off. They started by parrying the other's blows, until Scorpion managed to strike Sub-Zero across the face. Sub-Zero pulled back and kneeling down, sent out a projectile; which froze the specter in place, and then with his leg, he knocked the specter on the ground, shattering the ice. But Scorpion got to his feet quickly and came at the Lin Kuei again.

Scorpion hit Sub-Zero across the face again, but as he attempted a roundhouse kick, the Lin Kuei Warrior had ducked under the foot and thus the two went back to blocked each other's blows.

As Scorpion and Sub-Zero blocked and countered, more pieces of the island broke off, until finally the ground below them began to crack and slowly pieces of the islands began to elevate and descend. Scorpion and Sub-Zero continued to duel on top of a rising pillar as it slowly rose into the sky. Scorpion kneed Sub-Zero in the chest, knocking the Lin Kuei Warrior onto another rising pillar. Scorpion leapt onto the pillar, but Sub-Zero had already recovered by the time Scorpion found his footing.