Chapter 17

Cinder just stared at first until she finally motioned her head to an angle in order to see the young lady. From a distance Cinder in took the beauty of Kai's dance partner, with perfect black hair and a beautiful face was wearing an elegant blue dress. The Lunar Queen realized that the face she was staring at was the same face she saw every day for the past several years, her stepsister, Linh Pearl.

The Queen's natural instincts took over as she subtly walked towards Kai. On coming closer, she realized that this woman was not her sister, but her stepmother. Adri's excessive makeup and attire made her look so much younger that Cinder had mistaken her for Pearl.

Selene let out a small gasp and glanced in shock. The sight of her stepmother and boyfriend dancing wanted to make her vomit. Adri, who noticed the Queen just give her a wicked smile which drove Cinder angry.

~~~
Kai felt someone tap his shoulder softly. He had spent the last few minutes dancing with Lihn Adri and was quite enjoying it. She was a fabulous dancer but quite annoying as she kept talking as Kai pretended to listen.

When he felt a tap on his back, he let go of the woman and turned around. The first thing he saw was a beautiful face which he would dream of every day. Kai admired her beautiful bangs covering her face and messy brown hair. Even with the cargo pants and mess, the girl looked charming. Then he realized that the Lunar Queen was standing in front of him, as guilt climbed his face.

"Cinder-" The Emperor stammered, confused about what to say next.

"You look quite busy tonight!" She glanced at Adri with rage in her eyes. If Cinder's anger rose to high there was no guarantee what she might do with her gift.

"Um-" Kai started. "Could you give us a minute?" He asked Cinder's stepmother. Adri bowed and murmured 'Your majesty" before she strode away.

"What is this?" Cinder hissed.

"I can explain-" he draped an arm around her shoulder as cinder tried shoving it off. "Adri was just talking to me about Garin's invention. There was some problem which she solved, so she was just babbling about that"

"-And then you started dancing?" Cinder mocked, not convinced by his lame story.

"No, I asked her to dance so she would keep her mouth quiet, but my plain failed!" The Emperor admitted.

Cinder rolled her eyes and murmured under her breath, "whatever?"

"I didn't come from Luna all this way to stand here. Don't you think you should ask me for a dance, your majesty?"

Kai smiled, "Of course, where are my manners?" A smile played on his lips. "Queen Selene Channary Blackburn of Luna, would you like to dance with me?"

"Yes"

Kai grabbed her hand and set his other hand on her shoulder. He tried moving her around, but it was awful.

"Now I get why you didn't want to attend the Ball, you are the worst dancer I have seen" he snickered.

"Maybe those dance lessons wouldn't have been so bad after all." She replied.

"I told you so!"

They danced for a few minutes, well more of stumbled on each other's feet. Emperor Kai was a quite graceful dancer, on the contrary, Cinder seemed like a stumbling newborn.

Cinder complimented, "You look quite charming, your majesty!"

"You don't look too bad yourself." Cinder rolled her eyes. Of course, she looked bad. The Queen had come to the ball wearing cargo pants.

"Liar-" Cinder hissed receiving a chuckle from Kai.

"Common let me introduce you to a few guests." They walked side to side, Kai's arm wrapped around her waist.

One by one, Kai greeted all the members of the Earthen Union, Cinder remaining beside him. Of course, Cinder was pestered with questions continuously. After what seemed like forever, they had finally completed the task.

An entire group of girls walked up to Kai. "Your majesty," one said. "We all are huge fans of yours, could you please dance with us?"

Cinder frowned murmuring, "Could the day possibly get any worst?" As Kai grinned at her

"Sorry ladies, but I'm quite acquainted at this moment, maybe later." He shooed all of them away.

"Wow, you just ignored the company of a handful of beautiful girls. I didn't realize there was a Kai fanclub in New Bejing." Ciner said.

"I don't need their company, I'd rather have yours."

That was enough for Cinder to lose her patience as she quickly closed the distance between them. Her mouth was warm on his, and her arms were wrapped around his neck. Cinder deepened the kiss and her body moved closer to Kai's. There was a flash from the left, as someone had taken a picture of them during their very intimate moment.

Cinder groaned and moved back. "That was interesting" she murmured.

"At least it was better than the time you tried to kiss me during the last ball." The embarrassing vision appeared in Cinder's mind as she remembered kissing the emperor and being rejected in front of everyone.

A frown appeared on the Queen's face as Kai traced his thumb around her perfect lips. "We don't need to recall those awful days."

"Your majesty-" someone interrupted again, annoying Cinder. "Can I please have your autograph? At first, Cinder thought that the young girl was talking to the handsome emperor but then realized that she was being asked. Some more children accompanied her asking for an autograph.

After they left leaving Cinder and Kai alone Kai chuckled, "Now we have the Cinder fan club." Cinder rolled her eyes.

"Do you think anyone would notice if I steal you and take you outside for some time?"

With that,  the couple walked out leaving everything behind them, ready for each other's company the rest of the night.

Sorry for the late update. The next chapter will be out soon.

~book_x_nerd