• these aren't hiking boots •

*Kenzie's POV*
I groan as I roll out of bed on my first full day at Temperance Hill. I have no idea what's in store for me today. I wanna look cute so I better start getting ready.
I step into the steaming shower and start washing my hair, then I repeat the process. It's one of my OCD habits, I wash my hair twice every time I shower. I relax as I let the hot water hit my back, feeling the tension wash off of me. I'm giving myself a mental pep talk to try and make sure I can survive these next 6 weeks. I step out of the shower and wrap myself in a towel as I start blow drying my slowly fading purple hair. 'Breathe Kenz' I think to myself. I apply a thin layer of foundation and fill in my eyebrows. I slowly perfect my winged eyeliner and swipe on some volumizing mascara. Last touch is my dark red wine coloured matte lipstick. I step back and look at myself in the mirror, I actually look decent today. Maybe it won't be such a bad day after all. I quickly leave the bathroom and change into my outfit: studded combat boots, black skinnies, an ACDC muscle tank and my favorite leather jacket. I grab my phone and flop back onto my bed.
I scroll through the nice, but generic, texts from friends and family- replying something basic in response. I stop when I see a text from Michael.. what..
from: michael the rad dude 😎🎸
hey kenz.. idk what 2 say. im sorry for taking so long 2 actually txt u.. i dont kno what to say or do. idk whats rite or wrong. i dont know if you even want me to text you, so if you want me to leave you alone i will. look i know were not rally friends but i hope your doing alright. how is temperance hill??
I can't believe he texted me. I always laugh when I see his contact name that so cleverly put in himself.. for some odd reason I felt really happy when he texted me. I wish he'd stop repeating the fact that we're "not friends". What would be so bad about us being friends? Ugh.
to: michael the rad dude 😎🎸
hey mikey. dont apologize, you don't owe me anything. temperance hill actually isn't half bad. reaaally nice tbh. i'm lucky bc it could be ten times worse. thanks for checking in. BTW why can't we be friends?
I sigh as a slump back on my bed and wait anxiously to begin my day. Since I'm feeling confident and this window lighting is so generous I snap a few pictures while I wait, including cute, serious, and silly selfies. I send a silly one to the group. (the GC includes Noëlle, Kian, Alex, Addie, Calum, Michael, & Luke)
to: squad 👽✌️💙
*attachment: 1 image*
Hey guys look I'm the 😜 emoji! Lol sending love your way & pls don't forget me while I'm gone. I'm doing good. 💘
I send the text and am suddenly interrupted by a knock at my door. I look up to see Sapphire, a girl in my group, peeking in my room.
"Hey Kenzie, it's time to go to group! That's how we start our day. Love your outfit by the way." She smiles and skips away to the lounge room. I get up to follow her, take in a deep breath and assure myself it will be okay.
- hours later -
I'm sitting in the commons room with Nate, Tyler, and Sapphire while watching some weird sitcom on TV. We're making fun of it and having a good time.
"I'm so hungry!" Nate whines over dramatically.
"We had lunch an hour ago fat ass!" Sapphire jokes while slapping him.
"I'm soo full, that food was great! I wouldn't expect that at 'rehab'" I say making sure to air quote the word rehab.
Caleb comes in the room and sits right next to me, I suddenly feel very nervous and shy when just 10 seconds ago I was laughing and joking with the group.
"Hey Kenz, sup?" he asks in a low voice.
"Uh, sitting. You?" Wow, nice Kenzie.
"Well how about you stop sitting and walk the trails with me before dinner?" He looks me in the eye and puts his hand on my left knee. "Please?"
I can't speak so I just nod and smile shyly.
It feels so nice outside, not hot and not cold. We start walking and I immediately regret my decision because I am not dressed for outside adventures. We start walking up a hill in the woods and I stop suddenly.
Caleb puts his hand out, "C'mon we'll be fine, you'll love it I promise."
I know I would because this whole area is so beautiful but I'm nervous because he's so.. intimidating yet sexy.. what..
"These are not hiking boots." I say sassily as I cross my arms.
"I like them though, they're punk rock. Now get your punk rock ass up so I don't have to drag you." He laughs roughly.
Finally we're at the top of this hill thing and I'm speechless. The view is so beautiful, my head has never felt so clear.
Caleb sits on a log and I sit beside him.
"It's so beautiful." I say as I look in front of us at this gorgeous view.
"You're beautiful," he whispers and when I turn I realize he is staring at me. I feel myself blushing. I can't speak.
"What? Are you not told that often? You seem surprised." Caleb asks as he places his hand lightly on my knee like before.
"Uh, no, not really. Thank you though. That was very sweet." I reply.
He smiles genuinely and tells me that I'm a beautiful girl and he's glad he met me.
We sit and enjoy a comfortable silence for quite some time before he stands up and grabs my hand pulling me up with him. Before I know it I'm wrapped in a tight, caring hug and for some reason it feels amazing. I smile into his neck as I think about how things are finally getting better.
-after dinner-
"So I'll see you tomorrow?" Caleb says as we stop at my door.
"Oh no, I'm busy, going to the mall and movies with my bffs!" I reply sarcastically. "Yes you'll see me tomorrow."
"Goodnight Kenz" He shoulder hugs me.
"Goodnight Caleb."
I change into my pajamas, wash my face, and throw my hair up into a big sassy bun. What a day. I think I like Caleb.
I check my texts and see the squad replied to my selfie + message. They were filled with compliments and kind thoughts and encouragement. I love them. I notice I got a reply from Michael as well and a new text from.. Calum?
from: michael the rad dude 😎🎸
ur welcome. idk i just feel like its better if we arent friends or whatever. you got a lot going on & i do 2. u dont need me messing ur progress up.
from: Calum Hood
Kenzie.. I am so glad to hear you're doing good. I really do miss you. I regret fucking up with you. I'm sorry. What I miss the most is our kickass friendship.. I hope one day I'll be your Calpal again. You looked great today btw. Keep it up ✌️🌞
to: Calum Hood
I'm not going to lie and say I'm not hurt, because I am, but I really would like to have our friendship back because that was great. Maybe we both just weren't ready for a relationship, better as friends right! ☺️ I miss you too but I'm not letting you off the hook this easy. I need time and space, thanks for checking on me though it means a lot.

Michael's message left me hurt and confused. Very confused. I've never wanted to figure someone out more in my entire life.. fucking green haired prick.. I'm gonna read his message and not respond. Serves him right.

*Michael's POV*
I sound like such a dick, always emphasizing how much we're NOT friends. I don't know why but I feel the need to push her away because what I really want is to be close to her. I don't know exactly what but I wanna know her. I don't like her or anything like that, fuck no. She's just.. interesting, we have a lot in common and she'd understand better than anyone else but for some reason I keep closing her out. She's just some girl anyway. She looked really cute in that tongue face selfie though. I'll never understand why a girl like her would try and destroy herself. Fuck why am I even thinking of her? She's just a girl I know.

••• A/N - sorry it's been a while. have a lot of personal & family things going on. hope you enjoy this update! #WrappedAroundYourFingerFriday 💙 So what's up with Caleb & Kenzie? 🙈 I'm happy Kenzie & Calum are on better terms though!! Leave comments or questions, and pls vote ☺️ This was a very busy chapter, kinda all over the place. Mainly just a filler to add some things to the story.
Follow my twitter; @mikerowavey 💕 xo, kate.
PS I haven't proofread or edited sorry!!!